I know this is a cake, but I do not know what category of cake it should belong, a sponge cake or a chiffon cake or a butter/shortened cake?
For me, a butter/shortened cake should at least have fats content to flour in the ratio of 1:1 and this cake is used much lesser fats. The cake uses about 60% of fats for 100% of flour. It is not a chiffon cake as it is a whole egg preparation without beating the meringue.. The basis of preparation is more of a sponge cake by beating the eggs to ribbon stage and therefore i have decided to term it as a sponge cake. Technically, i believed it is a hybrid of butter and sponge cake.
For this recipe, I am testing out using the cooked dough method and whole egg method. I have decided not to use the egg separation method because the cake using egg separation tends to be very fluffy and airy and I personally still prefer denser but moist cake.
Like other sponge cake, this cake did not use any baking powder to leaven the cake. The cake is purely leavened or raised by the eggs itself. Therefore it is suitable to those who have loved to avoid baking powder or other chemicals in their bake.
I do not have the most beautiful cake to show you as the top have very slight cracks and have a bit of wrinkle. However, I can boldly show you the cake texture which is soft , moist with extremely fine texture.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepare a 6” or 7” sponge cake
- 4 eggs (about 50 grams each)
- 60 grams of butter or coconut oil
- 100 grams of Gula Melaka or other palm sugar
- 100 grams of cake flour or low protein flour
- 50 grams or ml of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar or white castor sugar
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Lightly greased a 6” or 7” round baking tray. Alternatively, you can line the baking tin with parchment paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Put the Gula Melaka and butter in a pot under medium heat. Melt the butter and stir until the Gula Melaka have melted . Add the flour and stir until it forms a thick batter. Add the coconut milk and stir until it is smooth. (Note: If you do not want to use Gula Melaka, you can use white sugar and let it caramelized until brown, it will yield a caramel flavoured cake that smell like the beehive cake).
- Beat the eggs and brown sugar until it reach a ribbon stage which took about 10-15 minutes. Transfer the beaten eggs into the Gula Melaka batter in 3 stages. Lightly and swiftly fold to avoid egg from de-foaming (消泡）. Transfer to a lightly greased baking pan or a baking pan lined with baking paper. Lightly tapped the baking tin on the table for 2-3 times to drive away the tapped bubbles. Bake in the pre-heated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 160 degree Celsius and continue to bake for another 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserts into the centre comes out clean. Cooled completely before cutting.
Personally, I found that cooked dough sponge cake yields a much better texture but it is slightly shorter than the sponge cake preparation. Personally, I have no complain about the height and I will thrive to minimize the cake cracking. Though the crack is not obvious but because of the crack, people will lose trust in my recipe.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 6,992,288 hits