I prepared this hamburger buns in accordance with the stated weight as in the recipe, however, I have never expect that it is such a mini size.. It was stated that for mini size, the dough should weigh 30 grams and if the reader need a slightly bigger size, 50 grams is adequate.
I prepared both versions and what shocked me is that it is really very small…it is very cute in fact and I think that it definitely it is a good party snack. In my best estimation, for a bun like what is commercially sold, at least 75 grams of dough is required.
I am pleased with the bun. In fact, it exceeded my expectations as it is a very soft and fluffy bun. It is just the right texture as a hamburger buns.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Recipe adapted from: 简易家庭面包制作 Page 80 汉堡
Servings： About 30 mini hamburger of 30 grams each
- 500 grams of bread flour or high protein flour
- 280 grams of lukewarm water
- 80 grams of castor sugar
- 30 grams of butter (room temperature)
- 11 grams or 1 packet of instant yeast
- 6 grams of salt
STEPS OF PREAPARATION
- In a big bowl, put all the dry ingredients (plain flour, yeast and salt), make a well and add in the lukewarm water. You can either use hand or stand mixer to mix. If you are using a mixer, use slow speed to mix for 2-3 minutes until it form a sticky dough. Thereafter beat at high speed for 10 minutes until the dough is not sticky and the wall the mixing bowl is cleaned of any sticky dough. Add the butter and beat for another 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and leaves the side of the mixing bowl.
- If it refused to form a dough, add plain flour 1 tablespoon by 1 tablespoon until it is smooth. If it is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water until a dough is form. (All flour have slightly different water absorbing properties, therefore, it is okay to add flour or water during the process and error tolerances are rather high)..
- Take out the dough and placed it in a lightly floured surface. Slightly knead until smooth. Shape it into a ball and proof in a greased bowl cover with clingy wrap or wet towel until it is double in size. This will depend on weather of the day and it usually took about 30-45 minutes. Once first proofing is done, punch the dough and transfer the dough out to a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into the desired size (30 grams for mini, 50 grams for medium, 75 grams for normal size). Take a portion and knead for half minutes to ensure all air are out of the dough, Shape into a small ball, roll the ball in the bowl containing sesame seeds and ensure half of the ball is coated with sesame seeds. Transfer to the baking tray and let it proof until double in size. (It is important to ensure that no air trapped in the dough as hamburger buns are not supposed to have lots of holes when cut into halves).
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degree Celsius.
- Once the proofing is done, bake in the pre-heated oven for 13 minutes.
A straight forward bun recipe .. Again, I am happy with the bun’s texture and do consider to give it a try.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have a nice day.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP to see more recipes. Currently there are about 11,500 members sharing various food photos . I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.