UPDATED POST ON 22-4-2016
There is another method of preparing this kuih which is faster and purely leavened by baking soda. I am trying out and outcome is good. However, personally, I still prefer to use the yeasted method (recipe 1) though it will take a bit longer than the baking soda method. Personally, I like yeast flavored kuih and pastries. Please refer to recipe 2 for the quick method.
This is a childhood snack that grew up with me! It is still commonly found in Singapore as there are chain stores that sell this type Asian turnover pancake. It comes with many different flavour, peanut, cheese, red bean and etc.… It can also thin and crispy or thick and chewy.. In English, at times, it was called “Turnover Pancake” but in Malay, it is called “Apam Balik” or Indonesian called it “Murtabak Manis”. It is believed that this is a snack of Arab influences..
The recipe that i am sharing today is from an Indonesian friend of mine.. therefore it is an Indonesian version of Apam Balik. The filling is a bit difference with ground peanuts, condensed milk and cheese. However, filling is up to individual to tailor made to suit their taste buds. What is important is the preparation of the batter in making the snack.
I am happy to have found the recipe and pleased with the results. However, as it is the first try for me, the pan frying still needs some practises. I have prepared two pancakes, one of which is not really successful as I have used the wrong pan and have difficulty to judge the doneness of the pancake. … However, for the second pancake that i prepared, I have changed to another pan and the results was much better though it is still darker than what i wanted to..
One thing good about this homemade peanut pancake is that one can have as much fillings as you wish.. You can also adjust the types of fillings, sweetness and the quantities of butter used…
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Recipe adapted from: MURTABAK MANIS FROM KARIN’S ACTIVITY
Servings: About two 9” diameter Peanut Pancake
250 grams of plain flour （普通面粉）
15 grams of castor sugar （白糖）
1 packet of yeast (about 10 grams) （酵母）
350 grams of warm milk or water （温奶或白水）
1 teaspoon of baking powder （发粉）
2 eggs （鸡蛋）
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda （苏打粉）
15 grams of castor sugar （白糖）
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional and not in picture) （香精）
Pinches of salt (not in picture) (盐巴）
Enough butter or margarine for oiling the pan （黄油）
Adequate sweetened peanut powder (I bought ready made peanut powder) （花生粉）
Some breakfast cheese slices or cheddar cheese （奶酪片-切小）
Some condensed milk for drizzling on the pancake.(not in picture) （炼奶）
Toasted white sesame seeds (白芝麻).
Additional castor sugar for sprinkling (optional) (白糖）
A flat bottom stir frying pan.
RECIPE 2 – QUICKER METHOD
- 250 grams of plain flour or all purpose flour
- 30 grams of white sugar
- 400 ml or grams of fresh milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Fillings of your choice – can refer to recipe 1 for the inspiration
STEPS OF PREPARATION
Put all the ingredients (except yeast) in a mixer and beat until the batter smooth and thicken which took about 10 minutes.
Put the yeast and use a hand whisk to whisk it until combined. Cover with a damp cloth and let it proof for about 45 minutes to an hour. At the end of one hour, you should start to see a lot of bubbles surfacing up.
After proofing, put all ingredients in Part B and whisk until combined in a separate bowl. Pour the whisk eggs mixture to the proofed batter. Whisk until combined and covered with the damp cloth and let it proof for another 10-15 minutes. It is likely that more small bubbles will be formed.
Heat a 9 inches flat thick frying pan over medium heat. Put some butter to melt and spread evenly on the thick frying pan. Put 1-2 ladles in the pan and swirl around to ensure consistent thickness. Reduce the heat from medium to low heat and cooked for about 5 minutes until bubbles/holes started to appear. Sprinkle sugar and reduce to low heat and cooked for 15 minutes until the surface dries up. Add additional butter, cheeses, condensed milk and sprinkle with peanuts and additional sugar if desired. Flip over the pancake to cover the other side. Perform the same for the remaining of the batter. (Note: Another way is when the pancake is cooked, you can transfer the pancake to a flat surface, applied the butter and top the fillings instead of doing it in the pan). Cut into desired sizes for serving. Best served warm with a cup of tea or coffee.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs and mix with milk, lightly beaten until well combined. Sift the plain flour into a big mixing bowl, make a well in the center and gradually add in beaten eggs plus milk, stir until as combined as possible. Sift the batter into another bowl, and leave it for at least 1.5 hours. (The longer you leave the batter, the more stretch-ability of the cake will have. You can also leave the batter overnight.)
- Once the batter is ready, heat up a non stick pan and sift in the baking soda, stir until well mixed. Pour about half the batter to the non stick pan, pan fried using MEDIUM TO LOW HEAT, cover the pan and wait until bubbles start to appear and the top starts to dry. Add your preferred filling and pan fry for another 1-2 minutes before dishing up and cut into pieces for serving.
I am happy to have found the recipe and so that I can prepare it at home. It is not difficult except some time for the proofing of the batter. Hope you like the post day. Cheers.
Hope you like the post today, cheers and have a nice day
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.
- 7,304,126 hits