This is a common household dish and I doubt if any readers have never eaten this dish before… It is a cuisine of Cantonese by origin but apparently it is well liked by all dialects. i am issuing this recipe to keep track of my household recipes …
The dish have a special name “大姨妈嫁女“ or literally translated as “Auntie married off her daughter”. Surprisingly, there are no literature being written on how the name the arises. If somebody told you this name, it is this gourd stir fry with glass noodles.
For this recipe, there are two types of gourd that you can used. You can either use bottle gourd (蒲瓜） aka white gourd or fuzzy winter melon (毛瓜 or 节瓜）as in the picture below。 The preparation is basically the same.
I do not have much to talk about the dish. The only point that I have to highlight is if the bottle gourd is too old, the brown seeds cannot be eaten. Even when you cooked, the seeds can become very hard and cannot be digested. Therefore, you will have to dig out the cavity or the seeds just like the bitter gourd. However, if it is a young gourd with whitish seeds and can easily be sliced, you can eat the dish and you will have a bigger plate of the vegetables.
WHAT IS REQURIED
Servings: 4-6 adult servings
- One medium size tower gourd
- 1 tablespoon of dried shrimps, soak for 1 minute and drain
- 50 grams of minced pork
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 50 grams or 1 bundle of glass noodles
- Dashes of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of chicken stock
- Pinches of salt
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Soak the glass noodles in the cold water until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Peel off the skin of the tower gourd, slice thinly and cut into small stripes. Set aside. If the seeds is brownish and too hard to slice, you have to dig the seeds from the cavity. The white seed pod can still be eaten.
- In a wok, heat up 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, sauté the minced garlic and soaked dried shrimps until aromatic. Add the minced meat stir fry until the meat is set. Add the shredded bottle gourd, followed by 1-2 cups of water. Bring to boil and reduce the heat, let it simmer until the bottle gourd has become soft. Add the glass noodles, followed the seasonings (salt, white pepper and chicken stock), continue stir frying until the gravy dries up and the glass noodles are soft.
A simple household recipe that are easy and straight forward. For new house chefs who do not know how to cook this, give it a try and let me know if you like the recipe. Remember that hairy gourd or fuzzy winter melon can be used too.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.