This is a very easy and healthy one pot dish.. It is also a lazy dish and in fact, in Chinese records, it was also meant for a dish of “lazy people”. Well, I am not saying those who are trying the recipes are lazy people, but it is a better time management type of dish.. It is nutritious and fast as all will acknowledge that time is of essence in this fast moving society..
I am unsure my hometown now did sell this one pot dish.When I was young, I have never seen it sold in the stalls. My late mum had never cook in this manner also but I have quite a fair exposure of this dish when I studied the university in Kuala Lumpur. As a student, this dish is rather cheap and it is very common among the university students. Unsure about the reasons, possibly because it is a dish that is soothing and with both vegetables and meat?
I have not eaten this dish for quite a while until my wife requested me to cook the dish. She is absolutely sure that kids will like this as most kids like thick gravy that goes well with rice.. As expected, we finished to night’s dinner in seconds. Nobody complain about this simple and humble dish.. For me, it is a fridge cleaning dish meaning I can cook using whatever in the fridge.
Yes, this is a free and easy dish or lawless dish. You can add any ingredients of your choice and it is just the timing of putting the ingredients that need some slight attention. But as a rule of thumb, the ingredients added has a mixture of both meat/seafood plus vegetables. You can either used all the seafood or a mixture of seafood and vegetables.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: 4 adult servings
- 4 cups of cooked rice
- 100 grams of pork, sliced thinly
- 100 grams of prawns, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 small packet of Enoki mushroom
- 5 dried shitake mushrooms , soaked and sliced thinly
- 1 small packet of baby corns, cut into small pieces
- 1 fish cake, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves of garlics, sliced thinly
- 2 cm of ginger, sliced thinly
- 2-3 bunch of vegetables (cai xin or others), cut into small pieces
- 8 cups of water or chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons of corn starch diluted with with 6 tablespoons of water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon of chicken stock powder
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- Pinches of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Dashes of white pepper
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- In a wok, heat up one tablespoon of cooking oil, sauté the ginger, garlic and shitake mushrooms until aromatic. Add the chicken stock or plain water. Add the ingredients in the following order: carrots, pork slices, Enoki mushrooms, and fish cakes . Bring to boil. Once it boils, add the prawns and fish cakes and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add the cai xin, followed by adding the starch gradually. Stir until well mixed. Add all the seasonings above. Off the heat and gradually add in the beaten eggs. Give it a quick stir .
- For servings, put some white rice on the serving plate, put the sauce on top of the rice and best served when hot.
This is an extremely easy dish. You can put in whatever you feel like eating. What make a plate of mui fan or lam fan attractive is how you pair the ingredients in terms of vegetables vs. meat, colour of the ingredients and also the texture of the ingredients.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.