Happy new year and I am rather busy to adjust my daily workload since kids are schooling tomorrow.
I do not have much to talk about this cookie but I get to know this Indonesian cookie from the famous Singapore pastry shop Bengawan Solo. For a standard box, it was sold at S$19.80. I bought this cookie during one Chinese New Year but well before I started blogging. I like this cookie very much and I have bought additional boxes to give to relatives.
When I am preparing this cookie, I can’t help but to associate with kuih bangkit (Recipe: Traditional Kueh Bangkit) as there are many similarities. The main similarities are there are no flour (gluten free) and only starches is used and the use of Pandan leaves and coconut milk. The main difference is that it uses butter (which kuih bangkit did not use any oil) and cheese to flavour the biscuit. As a result of using butter, the chances of success are much higher than kuih bangkit. Because of the oil, the starches will be evenly distributed and hence resulted in a melt in the mouth cookies.
I have read a number of Indonesian recipes and come out to this recipe. Usually I compared recipes, identify main ingredients and used the baking ratio that I am familiar with. The result is definitely a success, melt in the mouth cheesy biscuit.
Cassava cheese cookie is the name used by Bengawan Solo, and hence I used the same name. Cassava used because tapioca starch is used and please do not misunderstood that tapioca flesh are used. . However, for this recipe, I have used sago starches instead.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepare about 30 cookies depending on size
- 125 grams of butter, softened at room temperature
- 80 grams of icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 grams or ml of coconut milk
- 100 grams of parmesan cheese powder
- 280 grams of tapioca starch or sago starch
- 5 pieces of pandan leaves (optional)
STEPS OF PREPARATON
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degree Celsius.
- Stir fry the tapioca or sago starch and pandan leaves over the stove under medium to low heat until the pandan leaves have wilted. It will take about 5 minutes. Cool and sift the flour into a bowl. Throw away the pandan leaves.
- Lightly beat the egg yolk and coconut milk until well mixed and set aside.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk coconut milk mixture. Beat for a minute until well combined.
- Add the sifted starches, parmesan cheese and use the machine lowest speed to stir until well combined which take about 1 minute or less.
- Pipe the cookies into the baking tray and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven of 150 degree Celsius for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely before store in an air tight container. The cookies is best eaten within 2-3 weeks.
I have nothing much to conclude but for those who want a new cookie this year, you can try this recipe and let me know if it suits your family’s taste buds.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.
- 7,801,000 hits