UPDATED POST ON 4-12-2016
I have updated another new recipes on using muffin approach to prepare a quick bake for Christmas. Please scroll down for recipe 2 in red. This muffin is especially relevant for those who do not like to eat dense fruit cake but want some simple and fast Christmassy bakes . It is also relevant as Christmas gifts for colleagues or casual friends as a gesture of showing love during Christmas. In addition, if you are requested to some thing during Christmas party, you can prepare this as a contribution or you can give this to party host so that they can have these delicious muffins as breakfast the day after.
This is the simple fruit cake designed for office environment. Good to give those colleagues or clients or business associates that you are not really that close with them. It is simple and taste like the traditional fruit cake sold in the bakery. What differentiate from this with the traditional bakery fruit cake is the use of some rums or fruit wines in the cakes to make it have some Christmas feel.
The basic recipe is from my butter cake post yesterday with slight modifications. Due to the weight of the dry fruits, the batter will have to be drier such that it can hold the fruits. It is different from traditional fruit cake as the cake is light and best to be consumed within a few days after it is baked. Therefore, it is a good alternative if you are running out of time to bake the traditional dense fruit cakes.
In this illustration, since I only have very little mixed fruits left, I have substitute the normal mixed fruits with mostly raisins. You can either use brown sugar or castor sugar. Brown sugar would give you a more traditional look as the cake will be brownish whereas castor sugar will yield yellowish type of fruitcake resembling those sold in the traditional bakeries. I have experiment 5 of the cakes with some wholemeal toppings and if you wish you can have some muesli toppings or totally without toppings.
RECIPE 1 – CUPCAKE APPROACH
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings : Prepare 10 medium muffin size cupcakes
- 250 grams of dry mixed fruits or raisins – soak in cherry wine or rum or brandy with the volume stated below
- 250 grams of butter at room temperature
- 250 grams of castor sugar or brown sugar
- 250 grams of self rising flour
- 5 eggs or about 300 grams of eggs
- 50 grams grams of milk
- 1/8 cups of rum (not in picture)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence (optional and not in picture)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
For wholemeal crumble toppings (optional) – For 5 muffin cups
- 2 tablespoons of wholemeal flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of oats/muesli
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
STEPS OF PREPARATION
Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius
Get ready 10 medium size muffins cups
Soaked the dry fruits in the rum/brandy/cherry wine for at least 1 hour.
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time and beat until all the eggs are well mixed. Sift in one third (1/3) of the flour and add in 1/3 of the milk. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix the batter until well combined.
Add in the vanilla essence and repeat the same procedures for the remaining 2/3 of flour and 2/3 of milk. Once well mixed, add the soaked dry fruits. Stir until well mix. Transfer to the muffin cups.
For wholemeal crumble toppings (optional), mix the wholemeal flour, oats, melted butter and sugar, sprinkle on top of the fruitcake batter. Bake the cakes in the oven at 180 degree Celsius for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
RECIPE 2 – MUFFINS APPROACH
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepared about 8 cupcake size muffins
- 150 grams of mixed fruits (can soak in rum or orange juice in advance)
- 180 grams of self raising flour
- 100 ml or grams of yakult or fresh milk
- 135 grams of white castor sugar or brown sugar
- 135 grams of butter,melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of brandy or orange juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice aka rempah kuih or cinnamon powder
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- In a bowl, sift in the self raising flour, spices, orange zest and castor sugar. Add mixed fruits and stir until well combined. Make a well in the centre.
- In another bowl, add melted butter, eggs, alcohol or orange juice and yakult or fresh milk. stir until well mixed.
- Pour the liquid ingredients onto the dry ingredients, use a FORK or SPOON to stir until well mixed. A bit lumpy is acceptable for muffins. Over stirring or mixing will result in chewy muffins as gluten have developed.
- Fill up the muffin cup to at least 80% of the muffin cup and bake at the pre-heated oven of 180 degree Celsius for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Timing is for estimation and depends on your muffin cup size . If it tends to brown too quickly, after 10 minutes, you can reduce the temperature to 165 degree Celsius and continue to bake until cooked.
A simple recipe with no hanky panky ingredients. It is rather light, taste like fruity butter cake and full of rum flavour. If you are running out of Christmas gift ideas, this may be one that you can considered. It is especially a good gift for those who are casual acquaintances such as interdepartmental colleagues. A good packaging will bring up the status of your muffins.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 4,070,400 hits