I have not been sharing for such a long time as now I am doing some home baking for sales to my readers and friends. I wrapped dumpling twice a week and it took me 4 full days that drained all my energy . For the remaining three days, I have baked or prepared various type of cookies, festival food and etc.. If you are interested on things that I sold in Singapore, you can like this page : https://www.facebook.com/guaishushugoodies/. For example, I have sold Taiwanese Pineapple Cake before as in the picture below
I suddenly felt the urge to share this recipe as I am contemplating to sell this to my buyers that do not have an oven at home. For those who have an oven, I would advise you not to buy and do it at home as it is extremely simple, straightforward yet delicious. Another reason of sharing this recipe is I am baking this recipe batch to give as gifts for Christmas to buyers who blessed me with Christmas goodies.
This is definitely not new nor trendy. It has been in Facebook for so many years already. Only last year, I have a chance of trying it in one of the home visit during Chinese New Year.
Unsure the origin of this well liked nuts brittle, apparently it is slightly different from Western florentine which is full of fruits or nuts. I did not blog in the previous years because the biennetta or florentine powder are expensive and always encountered shortages in the previous Chinese New Year. However, yesterday i was surprised the price is only S$8.50 for a pack of 500 grams..
I have two totally different recipes that yields almost similar products, one of them is : Nuts Crispy Brittle or Nuts Sweets (坚果脆片） and i used the Chinese approaches of preparing these brittles.
Another one recipe which is very common in Taiwan is the Almond crisp that uses egg white or whole eggs . It is delicious but as compared to this recipe, it is really very difficult if your oven have temperature unevenness. If you are interested, you can refer to this recipe: Almond Crisp (杏仁瓦片）
So this will be the third recipe which is the easiest among all. I do not know how healthy is this recipe as the ingredients have lots of “chemical” components as compared to the above two recipes. Well i presumed if you are only indulging it once in a year, it will not be that detrimental to your health. You will definitely need Florentine powder as follows :
An alternative to this powder is the Bienetta Powder. I am sorry I cannot find adequate background information for this powder as there are limited write up on this..
In the package there are instructions. You can follow the instructions as in package or follow this recipe. My recipe is more conservative and uses more nuts than as instructed.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: About 4-5 Standard Chinese New Year Bottles
- 500 grams of Florentine Powder
- 600 grams of nuts of choice ** (see note below)
*In this illustration, I have used 300 grams of sliced almond, 200 grams of pumpkin seeds, 100 grams of melon seeds and some sesame seeds
** Package instruction is using 500 grams of powder to 250 grams of nuts. Personally, i find that it will be too sweet plus lack of presentation, I have increased the nuts to more than double the stated quantities)
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degree Celsius
- In a big mixing bowl, mixed the nuts with the florentine powder as even as possible. Note that your have the choice of nuts and there is no fixed and fast rules about the nuts selection. However, it is suggested that the nuts selected shall not be too thick (like almond or walnuts) and best can be eaten raw .
- Transfer some the mixture to baking trays lined with non stick baking paper, even out to about 3 mm thickness. In this illustration, i have baked 5 big trays (15”x18”) and in 3 separate sessions.
- Baked in the oven the pre-heated oven of 160 degree Celsius for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once golden brown, transfer out and use a sharp knife to cut into your desired shape.
- Once cooled completely, it will harden and store in an air tight container immediately.
This is a straight forward recipe, fast and easy. The brittle is very addictive is you are a nut lover. If you have been buying this is the previous new years, why not try making yourself. For Florentine and Bienetta powder , you can get in bakery shops and if you are thinking of making a fortune this Chinese New Year, may be you should consider stocking up the powder as the prices will increase over the time and at time it is difficult even to snatch one package.
If you like the post and think that the recipe is of help to you, please click on any advertisement and I may be earning 1-2 cents with each click to finance to blog. Your click will not lead you to malicious website as they are all governed by Google Inc. You can click and leave the site after entering without leaving any trails. You have no obligation to do so but it does help bloggers to share more recipe. Cheers and have nice day.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
Error: No feed found.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.
- 12,385,590 hits