How can I forget this dish that always appeared on my childhood dining table. My mum cooked this rather often and in fact she bought the tomato sauce purely for this dish alone..
This is such a common household dish but I have never prepare since I started cooking a few years back..Surprising it did not came across my mind until my wife asked me to cook this.
For this dish, you can use any type of fish but we generally used fishes that are not suitable for steaming. Fish may not be suitable for steaming because it is fishy by nature or the meat are harder than those good fishes. Example are black pomfret, snapper, mackerel, golden pomfret and etc.. Of course you can use good fish such as cod, white pomfret, grouper and etc. but I will use minimum sauces to cook these good fishes.
Besides eating the fish, most people also enjoy eating the side ingredients such as pineapples, onions and tomatoes. You can also add cucumbers and peas too. The sauce is a watery sweet and sour sauce that goes well with white rice. It can be very spicy if you add bird eye chilli but I have only added one big chilli for the flavouring as kids will be eating.
For this recipe, you will need to pan fry a whole fish. If you are wondering how to pan fry a fish in a correct way, you can refer to this post: Chinese Style of Pan Fry Whole Fish (干煎鱼）.For this illustration, as my fish is too big and my wok is too small, I did not do well in the pan frying as the tail is broken. In addition, I have to use much more oil than required .. If the fish was smaller, I believed I can do much better.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: 4-6 adults
- 1 fish of about 500grams to 1 kg of your choice
- 1/2 can of canned pineapples, cut into big pieces (fresh pineapple can be used)
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 red chilli, cut into big pieces
- Few sprigs of spring onion
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce （番茄酱）
- 4 tablespoons of chilli sauce (辣椒酱）
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar （白醋）
- 2 tablespoons of white sugar （白糖）
- 1 tablespoons of corn starch （生粉）
- 1 cup of plain water (白水）or canned pineapple juice
- Salt to taste
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pan fry the fish until the exterior is golden brown. Please refer to this post for the proper fish pan frying techniques: Chinese Style of Pan Fry Whole Fish (干煎鱼）. As this fish is big and my wok is small, I have to use more oil than required. Once the fish is ready, transfer to the serving plate. Set aside.
- Put all the sauce ingredients in a bowl, stir until well mixed and set aside.
- Leave 2 tablespoon of oil in the wok, sauté the onion until the onion is soft. Add the cut chilli, tomato and pineapples, give it a quick stir for 1 minutes. Add the above sauce ingredients and cook until the sauce the thickens. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit more water. If you it is too runny, boil longer to let the sauce dries up. Before dishing out the sauce, add the spring onion. Pour the sauce on top of the pan fry fish before serving.
This is a simple recipe. Remember that you can use any fish of your choice. If you like more sauce to go with the rice, add more water and adjust the seasoning if there is a need. For spicier version, use bird eye chilli instead.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.