It is a messy attempt at the kitchen but I never regret preparing these because kids and my wife loved them.
You are trying to shape some mashed potatoes into a ball but the mashed potatoes are very sticky and soft and I presumed from here, you can imagine how messy it can be… I tried many means before I managed to get the shape.
Therefore it is a salvage batch but I have already adjusted the recipe for the readers which I believed will be more manageable than the initial recipe I used.
Taste wise is good and addictive. Kids are especially happy with the pulling effect of the cheese. Well, I can almost guarantee that you will have the string effect if you are using fresh mozzarella cheese.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: About 15 croquettes depending on size
Recipe Inspired from: Bacon and cheese croquettes – Taste
- 4-6 pieces of bacons
- 4 medium size potatoes
- 1 egg
- 50 grams of plain flour (estimation)
- 50 grams of mozzarella cheese block
Seasonings and others
- 1 teaspoon of sugar or chicken stock powder
- Salt to taste
- Dashes of black pepper
- Parsley or oregano or other herbs of your choice
For coating and deep frying
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Adequate cooking oil of deep frying
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Cut the bacons into small pieces and pan fry the bacon bits in a pan over medium heat until aromatic .
- Boil the potatoes until soft and blend until fine. Add the egg, flour, bacon bits, black pepper, salt, herbs and chicken stock powder. Stir until it forms a dough. If the dough is too soft for shaping, you may need to chill it for 1-2 hours such that it become firmer. Alternatively, add more flour to make it less sticky. The flour quantities stated is for estimation as it will depend on how wet is your mashed potatoes. Once manageable, divide the dough into 15 equal portions.
- Cut the mozzarella into small cubes of 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm. Set aside.
- Prepared 2 bowls, one with beaten eggs and another one with the Panko bread crumbs.
- Pat your hand with some flour, take a dough, lightly shape round, press it flat, put a cheese cubes at the centre of the dough, seal the edges and shape round.
- Transfer the ball into the beaten eggs. Handle carefully and coat evenly. After egg coating transfer the bowl containing panko bread crumbs and coat as even as possible.
- Heat up a pot of oil and pan fry the croquettes under medium heat until the external is light golden brown which should take about 5 minutes. Before dishing out, increase the heat to high and pan fry for another 1 minutes to force out any trapped oil. Drain and place on a piece of kitchen towel. Best served hot as a snack or party appetizer.
This recipe will be submitted to a magazine soon under their “cheese” theme. Do give it a try and if you are a fan of bacon and cheese. Don’t worry, during deep frying, the croquettes will not have any splashing and the deep frying time are very short since most of the ingredients are cooked ingredients that can be eaten readily. This type of recipe are full of variations both in terms and types of ingredients. Therefore, feel free to adjust the ingredients are reading through this recipe.
If you like the post and think that the recipe is of help to you, please click on any advertisement and I may be earning 1-2 cents with each click to finance to blog. Your click will not lead you to malicious website as they are all governed by Google Inc. You can click and leave the site after entering without leaving any trails. You have no obligation to do so but it does help bloggers to share more recipe. Cheers and have nice day.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.