I was having dinner in a soya sauce chicken rice restaurant and we ordered a plate of salted fish bean sprouts. If my memories do not failed me, it cost us more than S$10 for a plate shared by 4 persons.
Having said that, it was well cooked as the bean sprouts were crunchy, the pork lard cubes and salted fish were crispy. The only “complaint” that I have is there are too little salted fish. I enquired from members of my Facebook Group, in Singapore, in the Chi Char stores in the coffee shop, it cost about S$8 for a small plate that serves 2 person whereas in Malaysia, it cost from an average of RM15-20 with miserable amount of salted fish.
For what you have seen in this illustration, my cost is definitely less than S$4 that are overloaded with pork lard cubes and salted fish. I have bought the already cleaned bean sprouts (those without roots) and it is about S$1.50 for 150 grams . I have used the more expensive ikan kurau salted fish and it costs me about S$1.20 for 30 grams of salted fish. As for the pork lard cubes, seasonings, it have minimum cost and let it factored S$1.30, it works out to be S$4 for a big plate..
I do not know how others cooked this dish but I am using my own way and replicate what I have eaten in the above mentioned restaurant. My objectives are crunchy but cooked bean sprouts, crispy pork lard cubes and salted fish.. Though the name of the recipe is stir frying, I did not stir fry my bean sprouts, instead I used the blanching method which i think it works very well and I am extremely happy with this plate of bean sprouts. 4 hours after preparation, the bean sprouts are still crunchy though not as crunchy as when it was cooked.
I will not share the recipe of pork lard cubes and if you are interested, you can refer to this post where I share how to get the pork lard cubes: Teochew Mee Pok And Fish Ball Noodles (潮州肉脞面 ，潮州鱼圆面）. However, this is considered as optional but it just complement the dish very well. Just click on the blue colour link above.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: 4-6 adults
- 150 grams of bean sprouts
- 2 pieces (about 30 grams) of salted fish, ikan kurau preferred
- 2 tablespoons of pork lard cubes (Recipe refer Here)
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 small piece of rock sugar, grind into powder preferred
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Some sliced red chilli
- Some coriander or spring onion
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add a few drops of oil. Add the beansprouts and blanch it for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Drain and transfer to the serving plate.
- In a wok, heat up of 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, pan fry the salted fish slice (at medium heat) until aromatic and golden brown. Dish out and drain.
- Use the same oil to sauté the garlic until aromatic and golden brown, add the water, oyster sauce and rock sugar powder. Bring to boil and drizzle on top of the blanched bean sprouts. Add the salted fish and pork lard cubes. Garnish with chilli and spring onion and the dish is ready to be served hot with white rice.
If you do not want to blanch the bean sprouts, you can just stir fry the bean sprouts for less than 1 minutes and dished out. Stir frying has the tendency of over cooking the bean sprouts and that is the reason I have chosen blanching as a method. Hope this recipe will help those new house chefs.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.