An Indonesian rich tai tai phoned my wife and asked her to help to buy 10 bottles of salted egg yolk chips and couriered to Jakarta… She paid S$320 for the chips plus courier charges. That is the current trends of savouring salted egg yolk chips in Singapore that have already hit overseas…..
If you Google the term “salted egg yolk chips”, you will be able to see that there are many articles written on this current trendy chips..
Apparently there are two companies that are very successful in selling these chips. One of them is the Irvins Salted Egg and another is the The Golden Duck. These two brands seems to be mentioned in many reviews and rated as highly addictive. If you looked as Irvin’s website, it is sold for 16 dollars for a package of 230 grams whereas for Golden Duck, it is sold at a price of 7 dollars for a package of 125 grams. This is definitely not cheap but the business are so good and even order need 72 hours to confirm…
I have never eaten this but I have wanted to try recreating it. I knew this will not be a difficult attempt as almost all salted egg yolk related recipes’ coatings are rather standard: butter, salted egg and curry leaves. Occasionally milk powder or cereal are added. This standard salted egg yolk coating is used to cook chicken, squid, prawns and meats as well.
However, I was struggling whether I should prepare for the family and share with the readers. Without even preparing it, I knew it is definitely delicious. Nothing can be wrong with this salted egg yolk coating. But 30 grams of chips already have 150 calories. If I have to add butter and salted egg yolks, I am sure the calories will sky rocketed…
After due considerations, I have decided to proceed as I also do not want my family to be out of trend, knowing nothing on what is happening outside their home. But this type of indulgence will be occasional and will not prepare based on a craving basis.
The next question will be how sinful should the chips be? I have toned down significantly the sinfulness with my unique method of preparation by brushing the chips on a single side. It will definitely not as delicious as those sold outside unless you double the butter and salted egg yolk of what I have suggested in the recipe.
If I am a seller, I will definitely increase the sinfulness as customers are willing to pay for deliciousness and calories counting is definitely out of question. But this is home preparation, and I do not think I need to be as creamy or as rich like those sell outside since health of the family members is my prime concern. Well , the recipe is very flexible, readers can just double what I have suggested and come out a well coated salted egg yolk chips.
Preparation is very simple and straight forward. if you do not follow my brushing method,full coating with salted eggs and can be done within 10 minutes. For this recipe, I have used the salted egg yolk powder that I prepared yesterday. For 200 grams of potatoes chips, I used only 3 tablespoons but if readers want a more sinful version, you may have to increase up to 6 tablespoons. Don’t worry, preparation of salted egg yolk powder is very easy and you can refer to this post: Homemade Salted Egg Yolk Powder (家居自制金莎粉， 咸蛋黄粉）or click on the picture below
Recipe for salted egg yolk powder: Homemade Salted Egg Yolk Powder (家居自制金莎粉， 咸蛋黄粉）
As for the potato chips, you can use any potato chips of your choice. Original flavour is preferred. I have even plain to share with readers baked potatoes chips recipe, sad to say I have shelve the idea as the baked potatoes chips are not beautifully done.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: About 200 grams of potatoes chips
- One container or bag of original flavour potato chips of your choice (about 200 grams)
- 3-6 tablespoons of salted egg yolk powder (Homemade Salted Egg Yolk Powder (家居自制金莎粉， 咸蛋黄粉）)
- 50 grams – 100 grams of butter
- 5 sprigs of curry leaves
- The smaller volume is single side coating whereas the higher quantity is for coating of both sides. You can use any quantities in between these two values.
- If you do not have salted egg yolk powder, you can substitute with 3-6 salted eggs yolk, steam and mash as find as possible.
- For overseas readers who have no access of curry leaves, you can safely omit it.
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Use a knife to chop or use a food processor to blend curry leaves until as fine as possible. You can also use whole leaves like those that are sold if you do not want to dirty your potato chips.
- Melt the butter and add the salted egg yolk powder and curry leaves. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes under medium heat until the whole mixture is bubbling. Off the heat immediately. Use a brush to brush one side of the potato chips. If you are planning to coat double sides, just put all the potato chips into the wok, stir fry without the heat on until the potato chips are well coated.
- This step is optional and the main purpose is to enhance the coating. Bake the potato chips in the pre-heated oven of 100 degree Celsius for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely before store in an air tight container.
I only pay about 4 dollars for 200 grams of homemade salted egg yolk chips and why spend more money if it can be easily be prepared at home? You have the say on the degree of sinfulness. Want more creamy and tasty, add more salted egg yolk powder and butter. Lastly, this is also a good Chinese New Year Goodies that you can serve guest. Do give it a try and let me know if the taste differ significantly from those sold in the stores.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.