I have overbought one package of pineapple jam and I was thinking what I should do with it. Besides the normal pineapple tarts, this recipe immediately come to my mind.
Pie slices are very common overseas but not common here and I know one of the common misconceptions that many readers have is that it is too sweet. While I cannot guarantee the sweetness of the western recipe, but I can guarantee you that this recipe is not very sweet.
Pie slices basically are jams sandwiched between 2 layers of shortbread . Shortbread in very layman terms are just butter biscuits. However, it differs from biscuits as it is more crumbly and not as hard as biscuits. Shortbread for slices are not sweetened and therefore the sweetness of the jam is balanced with the simple buttery shortbread.
Any jam can be used in fact and if you do not have any pineapple jam left, you can always used blueberry jam or raspberry jam or strawberry jam. But as a caution, any jam (include homemade pineapple jam) used shall not be too wet. If it is too wet, it will soften the shortbread and hence it will not be as crumbly as it should be. In addition, the shelf life will be much shorter.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: About 30 pieces of slices 2cm x 5 cm
- 500 grams of pineapple jam
- 500 grams of plain flour
- 250 grams of cold butter (directly from fridge)
- 50 grams of white sugar
- 2 egg whites
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Put cold butter, castor sugar and flour in a food processor. Blend until it becomes crumbly. Gradually add in the egg white. Have a pause blend for a few seconds until it form a dough. Transfer the dough out and press it evenly into a baking tray ( I used 48 cm x 30 cm tray and the dough thickness is about 5 mm). Use a fork to pierce some holes on the pastry. Any tray can be used and what it yields is a thicker or thinner shortbread. If you do not have a food processor, you can use hand rubbing method by rubbing cold butter using finger tips with flour and you can refer to this post for demonstration: Traditional Coconut Tarts (椰子塔） of the hand rubbing method.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven of 180 degree Celsius for 12 minutes.
- Take out the short crust pastry, place the jam on HALF of the baked pastry as evenly as possible. Scrap pastry of the other half and use hand to make it crumbly and sprinkle on top of the jam. Use a leveller to press the short crust pastry to as compact and as even as possible. Egg wash the top pastry if preferred. For egg washing, crack one egg yolks, add two drops of water , beat and brush on top of the pastry.
- Send back to the oven and bake in the heated oven of 180 degree Celsius for another 15 minutes or the desired colour tone. Cut in sizes of your choice when the slices cooled completely.
This is an extremely simple recipe that yields great taste. As this is a huge batch and I am still enjoying it today even it was prepared about 3 weeks ago. It is still crispy, crumbly possibly because the jam is very dry. If you can’t imagine the taste, just try to think that you are eating pineapple tarts in different shapes. Who does not like pineapple tarts and will this shape change the taste of the shortbread pineapple jam combo?
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.
- 7,204,133 hits