UPDATED POST ON 7 January 2015
I found that it is much crispier without the cups. It will spread outwards a bit but very crispy and nice to eat.
I have also made some minor amendments to the recipe to enhance the crispiness.
Nestum is a baby cereal and has its unique aromatic fragrance..Since young, I love Nestum. Even until today, Nestum is still my choice of breakfast cereals..
Using baby cereal to make into cookies will definitely yield an aromatic cookie… I have added milk powder to enhance the flavour and I am sure readers will concur with me that milk powder blends well with this baby cereal.
When the cookies were just out of the oven, I was rather shocked that the cookies’ exterior seem to be very hard. I am worry that something went wrong. When it cooled down completely and when i take a first bite, I found it is an enjoyment after breaking the crust and proceed to bite the interior .. It is addictive and asking my kids to try and both concurred that it is a nice cookie.. At least they like it.
Round shaped cookies are more difficult to bake but if you prepare the cookies in a disc or saucer shape, it will be easier to become crispy and shorten the baking time considerably. As such, this cookie need some close monitoring as the baking time depends very much on your shape and oven temperature.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Recipe inspired from : Cornflakes Cookies / Cereal Cookies – Look See Eat
Servings: about 40-50 cookies depends on size of cookies
- 100 grams of butter – at room temperature
- 100 grams of fine sugar or icing sugar
- 100 grams of
plain flour or all purpose flourself raising flour
- 50 grams of
potatoes starch or corn starch (not in picture)rice flour
- 50 grams of milk powder
- 1 egg
- 80 grams of Nestum baby cereal
- Some mini paper cups
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs gradually and beat until well combined. Add in the sifted milk powder, plain flour, potatoes starch and if you prefer, a tablespoon of Nestum baby cereals. Use the machine’s lowest speed to stir for a minute or two until well mix and form a pliable dough. Scoop a teaspoon of the dough, roughly shape round, put in a bowl of Nestum baby cereals. Roll sparingly. Transfer the dough to the paper cups and bake in the pre-heated oven of 170 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until it become golden brown. It is suggested that the dough be rolled into 1-2 mm thickness instead of the ball shape such that the biscuit is easier to become crispy.
- Temperature control is important and timing will very much depend on the shape of the cookies. Disc or sauce shape cookies are crispier than round cookies and timing will be shorten considerably (about 10-15 minutes) .
- Instead of baby cereal, breakfast cereals such as corn flakes can be used. However, the corn flakes will need to be pound until fine they resembling the size of Nestum baby cereals.
It is a crispy cookie which is different from the other Chinese New Year cookies that melts in the mouth. The first bite felt some hard crust as you continue to bite, you will feel the softer inner part full of cereal fragrance and the second cookie should be in your hand by then.. Haha … For those who like baby cereal like me, you may want to give it a try.
For more Chinese New Year related cookies, snack and steamed cake recipes, you can have a copy of “Easy Chinese New Year Recipes – A step by step guide” that was packed with 30 recipes, 60 pages at a reasonable convenience fee of USD3.50. The recipes covered various recipes from auspicious radish cake to nian gao to traditional kuih bangkit to trendy London almond cookies. Of course not forgetting both type of pineapple tarts. You can purchase by clicking the link above. You can either pay using Pay Pal or Credit card account. Please ensure that you have an PDF reader like Acrobat or iBooks in your mobile phone or iPad if you intended to read it in your ipad or mobile phone. Should there be any problems of purchasing, feel free to contact me at [email protected] and separate arrangement can be made.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.
- 10,827,089 hits