If KFC mashed potatoes gravy have beef broth being added, I will be a dumb all these years and my sensitive anti-beef taste bud must has not been working.. I do not take beef and I am ultra sensitive with any food cooked with beef or lamb … I will immediately know if I tasted something that is cooked with beef broth such as mee soto or mee rebus..
Thankfully, a quick research shows that beef was not listed as one of the ingredients in the gravy of mashed potatoes. Below is an extract from the KFC product information (https://www.kfc.com/assets/pdfs/kfc_ingredients.pdf).
I am especially concerned about the beef element because many recipes called for the use of beef bullion which contradicts to my believes. Yes, the gravy of the mashed potatoes are very delicious and have a distinctive flavour.. Of course it is a secret recipe that many people are trying to duplicate. Many recipes said beef bullion is used but there are a few recipes that did not include the beef bullion. i have opt to try the non beef recipe but will listed beef bullion as optional.
The recipe that I used is good and taste is close. I subsequently found out the unique taste actually comes from the aroma of cooked flour during the process of cooking the roux. Coupled with black pepper, the taste become distinct and all other ingredients are of secondary importance..
As for the mashed potatoes, it is the classic simple recipe. Mashed potatoes are essentially cooked potatoes being mashed and adding some seasonings of your liking to flavour it. To enhance the creaminess of the mashed potatoes, butter, milk or even creams are added.. Therefore, it is full of flexibility and the creaminess will depend on your personal preference..
The preparation is easy, nothing difficult or to shout about and i cooked this to go with the pork schnitzel. I have already issued the recipe and if you are interested to take a look, click on the link or the picture above: Classic German Pork Schnitzel Recipe (德式炸猪排）
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: 5-6 adults serving
Recipe adapted from: Top Secret Recipes | KFC Mashed Potatoes & Gravy Copycat Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 4 tablespoons of plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of MSG or other flavouring
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- 1 beef bullion cube (optional)
- 3 small size potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup of milk (estimation)
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Put one tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan, add 1/2 of the flour and pan fry the flour under medium heat until dry and become golden brown colour. In this process, constant stirring is required and timing will depends on your heat. As you stir fry, you will start to smell the cooked flour fragrance.
- Remove the cooked flour from the heat, add the remaining flour , salt, black pepper, beef bullion (if used) and MSG. Gradually add the chicken stock, stir until well mixed.
- Transfer the mixture to the stove and cook until low to medium heat. Stir until the gravy thickens to your desired consistency. If your gravy is too thick, feel free to add some water or chicken stock. Sift and set aside.
- Boil the potatoes until soft. You can either boil it with or without skin. Personally I prefer with skin as it is easier to peel later.
- Once soft, remove the skin and transfer to a food processor. Add the salt and butter, blend until as fine as possible. During the process, add milk gradually until your desired consistency. If your mashed potatoes is to be served with gravy, there is no need to be extremely wet. If you have accidentally added too much milk, transfer to the fridge for chilling that will help to firm up the mashed potatoes.
- Drizzle the gravy on top of the mashed potatoes before servings.
I have leave the option to add beef bullion cubes open in the recipe. Personally, I found that without the beef bullion cubes, the taste is awesome too. If you are a fan of KFC mashed potatoes, do give it a try. Remember that the consistency of the mashed potatoes is up to you decide. The milk quantity is for your reference only.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.