I saw members of a Facebook group baked Horlicks chiffon and I told her that my family might like this flavoured chiffon. Personally since I prefer denser chiffon and therefore I chose one chiffon recipe that I like. For those tall, fluffy and airy chiffon, I do not like the texture as I have a tendency to cough when I am eating them. Some are extremely dry to my liking ..
Therefore, i choose my black sesame chiffon recipe (Recipe: Black Sesame Chiffon Cake (黑芝麻戚风蛋糕)) and modified from this recipe.
You might be wondering if it is a chiffon cake? Yes, it is a chiffon cake but recently when I baked my chiffon cake, I seldom used tube pan but normal round pan. To me this is much easier for serving and can cut into beautiful shapes and therefore for this recipe, I will share the recipe in a normal cake pan without the need to invest into a chiffon tube pan.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: An 8” round pan of chiffon
Ingredient A – For egg yolk batter portion
- 5 egg yolks
- 150 grams of sifted cake flour
- 50 grams of cooking oil
- 30 grams of Horlicks powder
- 100 grams or ml of plain water or fresh milk.
Ingredients B – For egg white beating
- 5 egg whites
- 100 grams of castor sugar
- 1 tsp. of cream of tartar (optional)
STEPS OF PREPARATION
Get ready an 8” diameter round cake pan. PLEASE DO NOT GREASE THE CAKE PAN.
Pre heat the oven to 150 degree Celsius.
- Put the egg yolks, milk and cooking oil in a mixing bowl. Use a hand whisk to whisk until well combined. Sift in the Horlicks and cake flour. Fold lightly until it forms a thick batter. Set aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, add the egg white. Beat until slightly foamy and add the cream of tartar. Continue to beat at high speed and add sugar tablespoon by tablespoon. Once it reaches soft to firm peak, off the machine. The meringue should be glossy and shall be able to stand on its own. If you invert the mixing bowl, all the meringue shall stay intact in the mixing bowl and not flow down. For taller chiffon, you can beat the meringue until stiff peak.
- Transfer 1/3 of the meringue to the egg yolk better. Fold lightly and swiftly in one direction with a spatula. Once it is well mixed, add the another 1/3 of the meringue and perform the same. Once the final portion of meringue has been added and well mixed, transfer the batter to the chiffon tube pan (note that the chiffon tube pan shall not be greased) . Level it and use a skewer to lightly go around the batter to force out any trapped air. Lightly bend the baking tin on the table to further forcing any trapped air to escape.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven of 150 degree Celsius for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, take out the baking tin and use a sharp knife to score into your desired pattern. Continue to bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. The scoring is optional but it will help the cake to crack in planned the pattern that you liked.
- Once it is ready, immediately invert the baking pan for cooling. Only upon completely cooled, you can dislodge the cake from the tin. To dislodge the cake, use hand to “peel “ from the sides of the tin or alternatively, run a knife along the side and the bottom.
For those who like Horlicks and fluffy cake, you can give this recipe a try.
If you like the post and think that the recipe is of help to you, please click on any advertisement and I may be earning 1-2 cents with each click to finance to blog. Your click will not lead you to malicious website as they are all governed by Google Inc. You can click and leave the site after entering without leaving any trails. You have no obligation to do so but it does help bloggers to share more recipe. Cheers and have nice day.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
Error: No feed found.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.
- 12,272,135 hits