The name of this cake is called Milopita in Greek and I was introduced to try this cake by a member of my Facebook Group, Sis Lianlian Gliptis..
She posted the cake picture plus the recipe… I promised to try the cake since I never have had any cake recipes on apple.. If you are interested to read the original recipe, you can read it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bloggerfoodies/permalink/791285677627435/
It is a rather nice cake, moist and cinnamon flavoured. What I like about the cake is that it is very easy to prepare. In fact it is a mixed and baked recipe.
Realizing the cake may look too simple for the readers, I have decided to pair it with walnut brown sugar glaze… Hmmm, it is such a wonderful pair . Apple and walnut pairs very well.. The brown sugar sauce is very addictive and complement the moist cake..
I did not change the recipe… If any must be the conversion used. She used cups in all the measurements. She had laid the apple horizontally layer by layer whereas I have slotted it vertically… I did not manage to finish using up all the sliced apples as suggested by her. The verdict by my daughter is ; “the cake should have more apples” which I concurred. Therefore, for readers, it is up for you to decide the way you wish to sandwich the apple and the batter..
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepare a 9” Bundt Cake tin
- 4-6 large apples
- 375 grams (3 cups) of self raising flour
- 240 grams (1 cup) of cooking oil
- 225 grams (1 cup) of castor sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice (cinnamon and nutmeg)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons of orange juice or water (optional)
(Since original are in cups, it is best to use cups in all measurements)
For Brown sugar walnut glaze
- 80 grams of butter
- 125 grams of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence (optional)
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degree Celsius and lightly greased a 9” baking tin or Bundt tin and set aside.
- Skinned the apple and cut into small slices. To prevent oxidation, you can soak the sliced apple in some saline.
- Put brown sugar, white sugar, eggs and vegetable oil in a mixing bowl of a standing mixer. Beat under medium speed until the batter is well mixed.
- Sift in the mixed spice (cinnamon and nutmeg), self raising flour and baking soda in 2 stages. Fold until well combined. If the batter are too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of orange juice or water. Transfer the batter to the greased baking tin. Slot the sliced apples into the batter as closely as possible. If you are using a square baking tin, you can consider to layer the apple and the batter horizontally.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven at 35-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Timing will depend on the size of your tin and the thickness of the batter. For such a tall cake, it took me about 45 minutes. For square baking tin, ensure that the centre are cooked and timing may be slightly longer.
- In a pan, put brown sugar, butter and milk, stir until the butter melted and sugar dissolved. Add the chopped walnut. Stir until your desired consistency. Drizzle on the cake sparingly..
- Besides the brown sugar walnut glaze, you can also have the cake with vanilla ice cream.
I have to thank Sis Lilian Gliptis for sharing with us this delicious recipe. It is moist but not oily because the apple juices sipped out to the cake when baked. It is aromatic and goes especially well the the brown sugar walnut glaze.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have a nice day.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP to see more recipes. Currently there are about 21,500 members sharing various food photos . I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 7,000,854 hits