Updated post on 7-2-2017
You can use the same recipe for salted egg yolk pineapple balls . Just add the homemade salted egg yolk powder to the dough.. I am using fresh salted eggs (baked at 150 degree and mashed) and i am unsure how much is required if you are using the store bought salted egg yolk powder. To understand how to make salted egg yolk powder, please refer to this post : Homemade Salted Egg Yolk Powder (家居自制金莎粉， 咸蛋黄粉）
Updated post on 6-1-2017
I have prepared a batch of vegetarian pineapple rolls using this recipe. I also take this opportunity to confirm that both vegetarian recipes and non vegetarian recipes of this dough can be used both in pineapple golf balls and also pineapple rolls. I have also upload some new vegetarian pineapple rolls pictures .
I have decided to rewrite the procedure of this golf ball pineapple tarts as the first post : What A Golf Ball Have To Do With A Pineapple? Well, It Is The Famous South East Asian Pineapple Tarts (凤梨酥） was too detailed and readers may be confused. Therefore, this post have summarized the procedures for easy reference. For more write up on pineapple tarts and detail explanation of the procedures and the vegetarian pineapple tarts, please refer to the above post.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: About 100-120 golf balls pineapple tarts
- 1 kg of pineapple jam. – please refer to post – Quick and Easy 30 minutes Homemade Pineapple Jam (30 分钟简易凤梨酱）
- 500 grams of plain flour
- 350 grams of salted butter (softened at room temperature)
- 50 grams of icing sugar
- 4 egg yolks (note that in the picture there are some egg whites which is not supposed to be there)
- 4 tablespoons of icy cold water. You can have 3 tablespoons of water from the fridge and one ice cubes.
- Pinches of salt
- 2 egg yolks (for egg washing)
for salted egg yolk pineapple tarts
- 150 grams of homemade salted egg yolk powder (equivalent to about 10 salted eggs (Homemade Salted Egg Yolk Powder (家居自制金莎粉， 咸蛋黄粉）)
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Take some jam of about 10 grams and shape it round. Arrange it in a container to be stored in the freezer later. The jam may be sticky and if it is overly sticky, pat your hands with some water before the shaping. Once done, deep freeze for 1-2 hours or until you feel comfortable to handle. Do not worry if the dough is too too hard, it will start to turn soft in the subsequent step and start defrosting while you are shaping the others. if you are able to handle the soft jam, deep freezing step is optional..
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one by one and beat until well combined.
- Sift in the flour in three phases and alternate with icy cold water until well mixed. Chill the dough in the fridge if it is too soft for you to handle. This step is optional if you are able to handle a soft dough.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Pinch a dough of about 10 grams each, shape round, lightly flatten it, put a pineapple jam ball on top of the dough, seal the edges and shape round again. Egg wash the pineapple tarts before baking in the pre-heated oven of 180 degree Celsius for about 20 minutes. If you prefer, you can have the second egg wash after 10 minutes of baking. It will help to repair cracks. Cracks will arises if the dough is too thin.
- For egg washing, hand beaten 2 egg yolks and add 2 big tablespoons of water and 2 drops of oil. Sift before application.
Remember that this is the simplify recipe for the golf ball pineapple tarts recipe. Please refer to the original post for more elaborate explanation. – What A Golf Ball Have To Do With A Pineapple? Well, It Is The Famous South East Asian Pineapple Tarts (凤梨酥） and if you need homemade pineapple jam, please refer to this post – Quick and Easy 30 minutes Homemade Pineapple Jam (30 分钟简易凤梨酱）. Lastly, if you need pure vegetarian pineapple tarts recipe, you can refer the recipe towards the end of the post .
Cheers and have a nice day.
This recipe was included in Page 34 and Page 35 of the following E-book.
For more Chinese New Year related cookies, snack and steamed cake recipes, you can have a copy of “Easy Chinese New Year Recipes – A step by step guide” that was packed with 30 recipes, 60 pages at a reasonable convenience fee of USD3.50. The recipes covered various recipes from auspicious radish cake to nian gao to traditional kuih bangkit to trendy London almond cookies. Of course not forgetting both type of pineapple tarts. You can purchase by clicking the link above. You can either pay using Pay Pal or Credit card account. Please ensure that you have an PDF reader like Acrobat or iBooks in your mobile phone or iPad if you intended to read it in your ipad or mobile phone. Should there be any problems of purchasing, feel free to contact me at [email protected] and separate arrangement can be made.
VEGETARIAN PINEAPPLE TARTS RECIPES
Vegetarian pineapple tarts have a different texture. It is crispier because of the use of margarine . It will not be glossy as there is no egg wash unless you wash it gelatin after it was out of the oven. It has a unique taste that my girl and wife likes it too.
- 500 grams of pineapple jam.（凤梨酱）
VEGETARIAN RECIPE (素食谱）
- 250 grams of margarine (人造奶油或植物奶油）
- 425 grams of all purpose flour (中筋面粉）
- 25 grams of plain water (清水）
- 30 grams of icing sugar (糖粉）
- 1 tablespoon of honey with 1.5 tablespoon of water/soya milk – mixed well （1汤匙蜂蜜+1.5 汤匙的水或豆奶）
For more recipes, you can refer to my RECIPE INDEX (updated as at 26 November 2014) here and you can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP to see more recipes. Currently there are about 21,500 members sharing various food photos . I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.