I am currently obsessed in exploring the cooked dough method of cake making. I have tried it with sponge cake and chiffon cake and I thought I might also give my butter pound cake a try.
Cooked dough is a process of gelatinized the flour therefore enhancing the flour’s water absorbing properties. It generally yields a much moister cake than conventional cake and generally required much more liquid than normal cake. The cake texture is fine and smooth, with less debris and crust and has great flexibility. I get to know this after I issued my Pandan Chiffon cake recipe that is moist. If you are interested, you can refer to this post: Pandan Chiffon Cake–Cooked Dough Method (烫面漆风蛋糕）
As for the sponge cake, this cooked dough sponge cake impressed me. It is very moist unlike other sponge cake that is dry and floury. With moist sponge cake as a cake base, there is not much cream to be applied to make it moister. If you are interested, you can refer to : Key Lime Sponge Cake (青柠海绵蛋糕）
On the other hand, the cake is slightly heavier and will not be as tall as some other cakes as each flour molecules has much more water than the dry flour. Due to its high moisture content, the chances of failure are slightly higher but even if it is a failed cake, it is still a moist delicious cake.
I am not going to promote more about this butter cake and I let readers to examine the texture and if this is the cake that you are looking for .
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: One 8” x 8” butter cake
- 250 grams of self raising flour
- 250 grams of butter
- 100 grams or ml of fresh milk
- 5 egg yolk
- Few drops of vanilla essence (optional)
- 5 egg whites
- 250 grams of castor sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar (optional)
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Lightly greased an 8” x 8” square baking tin and pre-heat the oven to 165 degree Celsius.
- Melt the butter over the stove. Once it is nearly boiling, off the heat. Add the flour and stir until well combined. LET IT COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE PROCEEDING TO THE NEXT STEP. To expedite the process, you can put it under the fan for faster cooling.
- Add the vanilla essence, egg yolk one by one followed by the milk. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, add the egg white. Beat until slightly foamy and add the cream of tartar. Continue to beat at high speed and add sugar tablespoon by tablespoon. Once it reaches soft to firm peak, off the machine. The meringue should be glossy and shall be able to stand on its own. If you invert the mixing bowl, all the meringue shall stay intact in the mixing bowl and not flow down.
- Transfer 1/3 of the meringue to the egg yolk better. Fold lightly and swiftly in one direction with a spatula. Once it is well mixed, add the another 1/3 of the meringue and perform the same. Once the final portion of meringue has been added and well mixed, transfer the batter to the greased baking pan . Level it and use a skewer to lightly go around the batter to force out any trapped air. Lightly bend the baking tin on the table to further forcing any trapped air to escape.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven of 165 degree Celsius for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting.
This recipe is actually a pound cake recipe with a complete change in the method of preparation. If you are wondering about the texture of the cooked dough butter cake, why not give it a try?
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 7,008,035 hits