This is actually not a new recipe but an old recipe prepared using the new method. It is derived from this recipe: Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting （香蕉蛋糕）. If you still prefer the traditional recipe, you can take a look at the recipe.
If you looked at the above picture, it is a very classic type of banana cake prepared using creaming method. The cake structure are not as fine as the new recipe. In addition, there are more debris.
I have minimal modifications to the recipe by reducing sugar and adding an additional egg to the recipe because I am wary that the cake will not be able to raise beautifully without the use of baking powder or baking soda. Unlike the old recipe that uses self raising flour, this recipe use only cake flour. Therefore it is suitable for those who do not like to consume too much of baking powder.
The new recipe yields a very fine and moist texture, a characteristic of the cooked dough method of preparation. Gelatinized cooked flour are able to absorb much more liquid and hence yields a moister cake. In addition, the cake can be sliced beautifully .
Technically, this should belong to the shortened or butter cake category. In fact it is a modified pound cake recipe that is moist and fine. I am designing recipe that suits my taste buds. My ideal cake now is moist and fine texture and height and airy texture is not my prime consideration. It may not be overly spongy like chiffon cake that I am trying to avoid. If you have ever try my cooked dough cake, you will know my cake are much moister than other recipes.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepare a 8” x 6” cake
Egg Yolk portion
- 220 grams of butter
- 100 grams of castor sugar or brown sugar
- 220 grams of cake flour
- 150 grams of mashed banana
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of banana essence or vanilla essence (optional)
- 100 grams of castor sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar (optional)
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 165 degree Celsius. Put a tray of water on the lowest level of the oven .
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a pan over the stove. Stir until the butter melted and sugar dissolved. When the syrup is near boiling, off the heat and add the cake flour. Stir until it form a lumps. Add the banana puree followed the egg yolks, stir until it form a smooth thick paste.
- In a clean mixing bowl, add the egg white. Beat until slightly foamy and add the cream of tartar. Continue to beat at high speed and add sugar tablespoon by tablespoon. Once it reaches soft to firm peak, off the machine. Do not beat until stiff peak and it will make the cake tends to crack. The meringue should be glossy and shall be able to stand on its own. If you invert the mixing bowl, all the meringue shall stay intact in the mixing bowl and not flow down.
- Transfer 1/3 of the meringue to the egg yolk better. Fold lightly and swiftly in one direction with a spatula. Once it is well mixed, add the another 1/3 of the meringue and perform the same. Once the final portion of meringue has been added and well mixed, transfer the batter to the baking pan . Level it and use a skewer to lightly go around the batter to force out any trapped air. Lightly bang the baking tin on the table to further forcing any trapped air to escape.
- Bake the cake using water bath at 165 degree Celsius for 45 minutes to one hour or until a skewer inserts in the centre comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting.
Personally,I like this cake very much. If this cake appeals to you, why not give it a try?
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.
- 7,103,892 hits