Last year when I posted my roll bean curd skin in the Facebook Group, many members are asking me for the recipe. I did not issue the recipe as I am not happy with that trial.. This year, I decided to read up many other recipes and re-try again.
I think this is a very common vegetarian dish that is well liked by both vegetarian and non vegetarian. At the vegetarian stores, many will order this item if it was sold in the stores. I think the attractiveness of this simple dish is the roll bean curd skin is very crispy and full of the taukee or soya bean aroma. Well, it is just like the taste of ngoh hiang skin which is crispy and aromatic.
There is a name to this famous vegetarian dish. It is called vegetarian goose (素鹅）or some called it mock duck （素鸭）. As to why it is called as such, I am totally unsure as it neither looks like goose nor taste like goose. I always wonder why such name is called. It is just a flavoured bean curd skin and it is a famous traditional vegetarian dish in the Hangzhou cuisine, China.
There are two types of this tofu roll: one is liked what I am going to share in this recipe and another one is the softer type that need steaming and stewing. In addition, some restaurants prepared the rolls with vegetable fillings or mashed potatoes. The first part of flavouring the bean curd skin is the same for both types.
I am happy with this illustration. It is very crispy like what is sold in the stalls. Well, if it turns soft after a few hours or it is not well deep fried, you can always send back to the oven and re-bake it at 100 degree Celsius for 10-15 minutes or until crispy. If you have an air fryer at home, you can always used it to avoid the oiliness, but brushing with some oil before air frying is still recommended. Having said that, I am unsure if the aroma is the same as I do not have any air fryer at home.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: 4-5 adult servings
- About 50 grams of bean curd skin
- 1/2 teaspoon of five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of light soya sauce (optional, use only if your bean curd skin is unsalted)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 cup of plain water
- Some toothpicks or satay sticks for fastening
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 120 degree Celsius.
- Put all the marinating ingredients in a bowl, stir until well combined.
- Take a piece of bean curd skin. Brush the bean curd skin with the marinating sauce as thoroughly as possible. Start to fold the wet bean curd skin like in the picture above. Seal the edges with toothpicks or satay sticks. It is advisable the number of layers is best set to be about 5-6 layers for a crispier result. If it is too thick, it will be difficult to deep fry. As for the size of the rolled skin, I prepared based on the size of the original bean curd skin purchased. Therefore, size is up to individual to decide.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, over turn and bake the other side. The main purpose of this step is to dry the wet bean curd skin such that it is easier to deep fry. If you do not have the oven, you will have to air dry (hanging in a cloth hanger) until the bean curd skin is dry to touch.
- Deep fry the bean curd skin at LOW TO MEDIUM HEAT until both sides are crispy. Drain and best served when immediately prepared. If it turn soft after a few hours, you can rebake again in the oven at 100 degree Celsius until crispy again. Once cooled, store in an air tight container.
- Certain brands of tofu skin can be very salty. Cut a small piece and taste if it is salty. If it is overly salty, you have to wipe the tofu skin with a piece of clean wet towel before proceeding. If it is not salty, you can proceed to add the light soya sauce.
This is a simple yet tasty recipe. Once again, if you have an air fryer, you can give it a try.. Personally, I am pleased with this batch. Remember to test the saltiness of tofu skin and do adjustment to the recipe. Some tofu skin sold in the market are very salty and some are low salt version.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.