It is such a coincidence that when I bought my Madeleine mould at the bakery shop, I also stumbled across some cheap oval shape baking tins. i bought 10 of them with the unit price of 55 cents per tin. I bought the tin with the intention of baking the traditional kuih bahulu since madeleine recipes are very similar to the madeleine and in fact, that day, I did bake some kuih bahulu using the madeleine recipe. I gave some to my neighbour and obviously they can’t differentiate if it is madeleine or Asian kuih bahulu. They called my madeleine as Kuih bahulu .. Lol.
That day while I was searching for madeleine recipe, some how the recipe of friands came out. Unsure of the reasons why it popped out in Google searches, I took a look and I knew my cheap mould can prepare this friands. They have popped out possible because both madeleine and friands are classic French small, petite type of cake serve during tea time.
Friands need to be baked in an oval shape mould called barquette tins. However, the same recipe can be baked in a rectangular mould and it is called financiers instead. So, if you bake in oval tin, it is called friands, if you bake in rectangular mould, it is called financier (like a gold bar) as in the picture above and if you do not have both the moulds, you can always baked in a muffin tin and called it, may be “French egg white almond butter cake” as in picture below.
This is a dense cake that do not use any baking powder. However, since it is prepared using almond meal, it is not hard and have some texture to chew. I am unsure why this cake is so special to use egg white only without any baking powder to leaven the cake. The cake is purely leavened by the egg whites and the egg white are beaten to foamy and not soft peak or hard peak.
There are tons of variations to this recipe . If you refer to the picture below, you will see many berries or fruits are being used. Instead almond flour, hazelnut flour was used. So feel free to create your own friands.
“The friand is a small French cake, often mistaken for a muffin. It is popular in Australia and New Zealand.The principal ingredients are almond flour, egg whites, butter, and powdered sugar. It typically has additional flavourings such as coconut, chocolate, fruit, and nuts. It is baked in small molds, typically oval or barquette in shape. It appears to be related to the financier, though it differs in being larger and not using brown butter.” (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friand)
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepared 10-12 Friands
- 5 egg whites
- 150 grams of melted butter
- 150 grams of almond meal or ground almond
- 50 grams of plain flour
- 150 grams of icing sugar
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degree Celsius
- Lightly greased the oval shape baking tin (barquettes)
- In a bowl, light whisk the egg white until foamy. There is no need to beat the egg whites until very light .
- In another bowl, sift the plain flour, icing sugar and add the almond meal. Stir until well combined. Make a hole in the centre. Gradually add in the beaten egg white and stir until well combined. Add in the melted butter and stir until smooth. Fill the oval baking tin until 85-90% full.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven of 200 degree Celsius for 10 minutes and reduce the heat to 180 degree Celsius and bake for another 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- You can easily modified this recipe by adding berries or fruits to the friands. You can also add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to transform it into a chocolate friands. Matcha powder can be used.
- You can safely used substitute the 50 grams plain flour with almond meals and make the gluten free friands.
A very easy recipe. This is not a fluffy cake but a dense cake. If you like semolina cake, you may like this cake. Do give it a try. Remember if you are using a muffin tin, you may have to change the name of the recipe to “ Egg white almond butter cake” as a respect to traditional recipes.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at https://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥
- Celery Braised Pan Fried Fish (芹菜半煎煮鱼）
- Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片）
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- July 2019 (1)
- March 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 6,916,644 hits