i have ever prepared my own natural yeast but after a few failed attempt of making breads, I have decided not to continue feeding the natural yeast and let it die naturally.
However, there is one day I used this sourdough to prepare some pancake and it really yields very light and fluffy pancake..It is one of the best pancakes I have ever prepared and family members liked it very much. However, i have shelved the idea of issuing a recipe for natural yeast and sourdough bread because I think I am still not ready or qualify to issue such recipe.
It was during that attempt that I found that I like the texture of yeast raised pancake.
Of course prior to that, I have prepared pancake before using baking powder and baking soda… I do not really like it as the quantity of baking soda and baking powder is quite a lot, much more than any other breads.
For 250 grams of flour used, it requires almost 2 teaspoon or one tablespoon of baking powder and some recipe call for additional 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda. Though it is fast, the texture is not fluffy enough and not to mention at times, you can still smell some baking soda if it is not properly pan fried..
Today is Mother’s day, since my girl wanted to prepare pancake for her mother, I have decided to use instant yeast to raise the pancakes. Preparation is slightly longer but it is much tasty and fluffier. Possibly this is because of my personal preference of yeast flavoured bread.. I love breads, Chinese steamed aroma because of the subtle aroma of yeast.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepare 10-15 small pancakes depending on size
- 250 grams of plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 40 grams of melted butter, cooled
- 320 grams or ml of lukewarm milk
- Pinches of salt
- 2 teaspoon of white sugar
- 4 grams of instant yeast
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- In a big mixing bowl. sift in plain four. Add pinches of salt and instant yeast. Crack the eggs into the milk, add the melted butter. Pour the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and used a whisk to whisk until well combined. If there are lumps, you may want to sift the batter to make it smoother. Cover the batter with a clingy wrap, let it proof in a warm place for at least 1/2 hour to 1 hour . You should be able to see there are lots of bubbles if it is already proofed. If you want , you can let it proof for 15 minutes at room temperature and transfer to the fridge for overnight proofing. Bring the batter back to the room temperature on the next day before pan frying.
- For pan frying, heat up a non stick pan (normal pan can be used but you must lightly greased the pan) under medium heat, put about 1/4 cup of batter on the heated pan, pan fry for about 5 minutes before turning. When you see there are lots of bubble surfacing, it is time to over turn the pancake. Pan fry for another 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
If you have the time, you can try this method. You can also mix the batter the night before and chill in the fridge for proofing. If it is slightly acidic, you can add some baking soda to negate the acidity taste. You can wake up and pan fry for next morning’s breakfast. Personally any time I will prefer yeast raised pancake as compared to the baking powder raised pancake. Trust me, the texture is different from the easier and faster method of using baking powder.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 3,584,288 hits