Eating homemade crackers can be as healthy as you want it to be. The preparation environment is much cleaner, you can use less seasoning and instead of deep fried, you can always use air fried or microwave. Having said that, air fried and microwaved crackers has no aroma as compared to deep fried crackers.
I have always wanted to prepare this sweet potatoes cracker for the longest time I can think off. Since I have successfully prepare the prawn and shrimp crackers, I have wanted to prepare the root based crackers based on the same concept . I have chosen sweet potatoes for the color and this recipe is a vegetarian recipes that religion vegetarian can safely enjoy. If you are interested in the prawn and shrimp crackers, you can refer to this post: Simple Prawn or Fish Crackers (Keropok, 炸鱼饼，炸虾饼）or clicking the picture below.
This is simple straight forward, unsure why other recipes in the internet requires steaming of 2-3 hours at least, but I have only steam 1/2 hour when I am ascertained it is cooked. Instead of traditional recipes of drying under the sun for 3-4 days, i resorted to the use of drying in the oven for about 1 hour. Therefore, this recipe has cut short the time significantly.
The outcome is rewarding. It is crispy and aromatic. The only challenge in this recipe is the unevenness of the crackers. That will depend on each family how sharp is the knife and how easy it is to slice. Ideally, the crackers should be sliced to the same thickness. Practically, it is rather difficult since the cracker is a bit chewy. Well, slight unevenness in the cracker is acceptable. It is more difficult in deep frying that is all. If it is not flat enough, when you deep fried, it will start to bend and certain inner part may be chewy but the exterior part is very crispy. For me, that is a very simple hindrance that should not deter home cook from trying. However, deep freezing overnight the steamed sweet potatoes bar do help in slicing into even thickness if you are not rushing for time.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepare 2 big bottles of sweet potatoes crackers
- 400 grams of sweet potatoes
- 400 grams of tapioca flour
- 100-150 grams of hot water
- 2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoon of white sugar
- 2 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of additional flavouring agent of your choice (MSG, mushroom concentrate) – Optional
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Steamed the sweet potatoes until soft. Transfer the cooked sweet potatoes, tapioca flour and all the seasonings to a food processor, blend until fine. Transfer the flour mixture to a big mixing bowl, add warm to hot water gradually until it forms a pliable dough. You may or may not need to use all the suggested water volume as it will very much depend on the flour’s water absorbing properties and how wet is your sweet potatoes. As long as it can become a dough, it is consider as ready for the next step.
- Divide the dough into 4-5 portion, shape cylindrical shape of about 1 inches diameter. Transfer these sweet potatoes rolls into a LIGHTLY GREASE steamer tray, giving some spaces in between. Steam for about 30 minutes or when the centre is cooked. Time of steaming will depend on the thickness of the bar.
- Cool slightly and freeze the bar in the freezer for about 1 hour. The main purpose of freezing is to facilitate slicing. Once slicing can be done, you can proceed to next step. Alternatively, you can leave in the freezer overnight. The bar will harden and texture will change. Before slicing, defrost at room temperature.
- Slice the bar as thinly as possible with about 2 –3 mm thickness. Put it in a baking tray and oven bake it at 100 degree Celsius for about 1-1.5 hours. For every 20 minutes, stir the cracker slices ensuring it is evenly baked. If time permits, you can bake until your desired harden texture. Alternatively, you can dry under the sun or air dry for days in your house compound until it is almost transparent. The less moisture content you have in the crackers, the crispier it will be.
- To taste the readiness, you can either deep fried some prawn crackers in some hot oil or microwave in the microwavable oven for about 30 seconds. If the crackers expands in the hot oil or in the microwavable bowl, become crispy when cool, the crackers is considered as ready.
This will be classify under the Chinese New Year goodies recipe. In fact it is and we always eat acar with keropok. Keropok be it prepared from shrimps, prawns or other roots. Do give it a try now, and tomorrow you can have your keropok ready.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.