While I totally understand that it is not advisable to take too much processed food such as chicken franks, bacons and etc.., I cannot control what my kids are eating when they are not at me ..That is what I discovered recently that they loved to order this dish both at primary and secondary schools..
Chicken franks are not something common in my household and to them it is a luxury if it appears at the dinner table. I did cook but only if recipes required. Since I knew that they like this dish and always ordered at school, I decided to blog this recipe since I was given a few packs of chicken franks from friends who cannot finish barbecuing at a gathering.
To me, anything not excessive is acceptable and as far as I am in charge of the kitchen, this will not be a common item. However, I will cook this occasionally to satisfy their cravings. Long term suppression of a certain food will not help in educating the kids refrained from eating certain food.
Yes, this is one of the very common items being sold at the mixed vegetables stores. It is welcomed by kids possibly because it is sweet, they loved sausages or chicken franks and also potatoes. I personally found that any dishes cooked with potatoes are able to attract kid’s attention. I remember there is another version using luncheon meat cubes instead of chicken franks. That luncheon meat version I have ever ordered before and in fact it is delicious even to adult taste buds.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: 3-4 adult servings
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 package (10 pieces) of chicken franks
- 2 sprigs of spring onion
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 8 tablespoons of plain water (清水）
- 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce （番茄酱）
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar （白醋）
- 4 tablespoons of white sugar （白糖）
- 1 tablespoons of corn starch （生粉）
- 2 tablespoon of cooking oil （食用油）
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Cut the potatoes into 1 cm cubes, soak in water for 5 minutes, drained and set aside.
- Cut the chicken franks into 1 cm cubes. Set aside.
- Put all the sauce ingredients in a bowl, stir until well mixed, set aside.
- In a pan, put some cooking oil, pan fry or deep fry the potatoes cubes until golden brown and aromatic. Note that this step is optional and you proceed to cook with raw potatoes cubes which is less aromatic and need longer time to cook until soft. The main purpose of this step is to give an more aromatic potatoes cubes and to prevent the potatoes from becoming too mushy.
- In a pot, put 1 tablespoon of oil, sauté the garlic until aromatic. Add the chicken franks and the potatoes cubes. Stir fry until well mixed. Add the sauces and simmer until the sauce thickens. Off the heat and the dish is ready to be served with white rice. (If you are using raw potatoes, you will need to add a bit of water, bring to boil and let it simmer until potatoes are soft before adding the chicken franks and the sauce. )
I am trying to capture as many hawker centre mixed vegetable store’s recipes as possible. Since this is a common one and I believed for those who love to order this dish can easily prepare this dish at home. Lastly, you can also added baked beans to this dish or added some beaten eggs to the gravy to make a egg drop version. Therefore the dish is full variations.
If you like the post and think that the recipe is of help to you, please click on any advertisement and I may be earning 1-2 cents with each click to finance to blog. Your click will not lead you to malicious website as they are all governed by Google Inc. You can click and leave the site after entering without leaving any trails. You have no obligation to do so but it does help bloggers to share more recipe. Cheers and have nice day.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.