Updated post on 10-1-2017
Today I have used the same ingredients and prepare another version. This version is very common recently.
There is nothing much to highlight. Buy the stripes fish snacks, put 5 in a bundles, seal it with a nori seaweed and bake at 130 degree until crispy. If preferred, you can brush some oil before deep frying.
Since it can be oven baked, therefore, air fryer should do well for this snack.
I was rather surprised to see this fish meat snack in Singapore. It is a snack that I am very familiar with because there is a factory from my home town Kuching. Sarawak, Malaysia that produces that. I have first seen this snack for at least more than 10 years and I never bought this for Chinese New Years until this year.
I am unsure who started to combine Nori seaweed with this snack. Nori seaweed is the seaweed used for Sushi. The fish snack were glued together with a piece of seaweed by egg whites. It was either baked or deep fried and currently, air fried. The original fish snack were very chewy but when baked, deep fried and air fried, it became very crispy. Since this had became a popular snack during Chinese New Year, I have decided to prepare this as well.
There are many ways of preparing it. One of the popular way is to put a piece of Nori seaweed on top of the a flat piece of fish snack and baked in the oven at 150 degree Celsius for about 10 minutes. That is a good way as it will shorten the baking time and the snack will be crispy. However, it is rather difficult to serve and store since you will need a container big enough to keep a square piece of snack (about 5 cm by 5 cm). It can’t put in the cookies tray due to its size.
Another way of preparation is to bundle the fish snack stripes with some seaweed. That again have some disadvantages.as the place that was bundled is not easy to get baked (and hence became chewy and not crispy). While all other part become crispy, that particular part becomes chewy..
Taking these two factors into consideration, I told myself that I wanted one that is easy to keep and crispy. Therefore, I have designed mine in this simple pattern for your consideration.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
- Some pieces of Nori seaweed (Note that what you seen in this picture is not the Nori seaweed for Sushi. It is the slightly sweetened seaweed snack that you can eat instantly).
- Some fish snack sheets or fish snack stripes
- One whole egg (Lightly beaten)
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 130 degrees Celsius
- Line a baking tray with parchment or baking paper (important, otherwise, you will have difficulty to stir the snacks)
- Take out a piece of Nori seaweed or snack seaweed and brush with the egg mixture. Dip the fish snack sheet (8cm x 16 cm) in the egg and place on top of the seaweed.
- Wrap the sheet seaweed around the fish snack sheet. Use the scissors to cut into small pieces. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Occasionally stir the snacks. The timing is a guideline. You can continue baking until it is crispy. It is best that you take one piece out, let it cool and try the crunchiness. If it is not crunchy enough, send back to the oven.
This post is just to add another recipe to my Chinese New Year collection. It is easy to prepare and taste great. If you are able to get this fish snack, do give it a try.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have a nice day.
This recipe was included in Page 52 and Page 53 of the following E-book.
For more Chinese New Year related cookies, snack and steamed cake recipes, you can have a copy of “Easy Chinese New Year Recipes – A step by step guide” that was packed with 30 recipes, 60 pages at a reasonable convenience fee of USD3.50. The recipes covered various recipes from auspicious radish cake to nian gao to traditional kuih bangkit to trendy London almond cookies. Of course not forgetting both type of pineapple tarts. You can purchase by clicking the link above. You can either pay using Pay Pal or Credit card account. Please ensure that you have an PDF reader like Acrobat or iBooks in your mobile phone or iPad if you intended to read it in your ipad or mobile phone. Should there be any problems of purchasing, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and separate arrangement can be made.