Every time when I wanted to issue a recipe, I will have to decide what is the purpose of the post. Will the readers be interested? Will it be too easy and is there any readers who will try?
Well, not all recipes are popular with the readers. I have discovered a strange pattern in my readership. The more expensive the ingredients of a dish, the less popular it will be. Even dishes with big prawns are not as popular as simple household dishes. Traditional simple household dishes has the most readers possibly readers have fond memories and sentiments for the dish..
I remembered when I issued this recipe 2 years ago when I just started my blog in my Facebook Page, many new house chefs have tried and thanked me for the recipe. Then I did not capture in the proper blog because I thought the recipe is too easy. I have changed my mind-set to capture these simple traditional recipes in this blog proper and probably it will be compiled into simple household dishes to help new house chefs.
This recipe is full of variations, you can use pork belly slices, meat balls or lean fillet slices. The attractiveness of the dish is its simplicity both in terms of ingredients, cooking time and taste. The dish is purely flavoured by the pickled lettuce sauces and meat flavoured. It goes well with white porridge or even white rice. There is no oil in the dish except those fats from the meat. Therefore, the dish is healthy but looks a bit dull and not glossy.
When there are family who is sick, this will be the first dish that I will cook for them to go with white porridge. Kids are extremely happy when I cooked this dish and their favourite are actually meatballs as it is much softer.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
- 300 grams of fillet slices or pork belly slices or minced meat
- 3 cloves of garlics, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of dark soya sauce
- 1 small can or bottle of pickled lettuce
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- In a pot, put water enough to cover the pork. You can add more water at the later stage if you want to. Put all ingredients (pork slices, garlic slices, dark soya sauces and canned or tin pickle lettuce). All the sauces used for the tin pickle lettuce shall be added. Bring to boil under high heat. Once boiled, turn to medium heat and let it simmer for another 10 minutes or when the meat is soft.
- There is no salt or other seasoning for this dish. Every brand will have difference canned sauce. The aroma and taste of the dish will very much depend on individual brand. Therefore, take a small teaspoon and taste the soup before deciding whether additional seasoning is necessary.
- If you want a softer texture of the meat, you can add 1 teaspoon of corn flour to the meat, stir well before adding.
Nothing to shout about as it is a dish that is so common in my households. I was surprised that some local members are not aware of such simple dishes. I am equally surprised that a Facebook Group members said her mum always cooked in this manner. If you never try and you want a meat dish for a dinner, you can always try this fuss free and quick dish. Just like canned pork trotters bee hoon dish, this dish must be cooked with canned or bottled pickled lettuce. There is no way you can get the same taste with the fresh lettuces. If you are adverse of canned food, this recipe is not for you.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.