I kept smelling the cake after it was out of the oven and before I tasted the cake. I was worried that the aroma of the parmesan cheeses are not strong. If the butter aroma over powers the cheese aroma, it will be a waste to use expensive cheeses for the cake. I am always a hard core baker, when I titled a recipe “parmesan cheese flavour butter cake”, the parmesan cheese must be strong enough and not just a faint cheesy aroma.
As this is my own designed recipe, I have no reference of external recipe to fall on. Therefore, I used my favourite cooked dough (recipe: Cooked Dough Butter Cake (烫面牛油蛋糕）) butter cake as a basis of preparation with modifications here and there.
I am particularly happy that it works very well and half of the cake will be given away. The texture is just nice, not very dense because it uses egg separation method. It is considered as fluffy when compared to traditional butter cake but much less fluffy than chiffon cake. The cheese aroma is strong enough that transforms it into another type of cake.
Technically, this falls under butter cake recipe because it uses much more butter than chiffon and sponge. It is a pound cake that uses almost equal amount of butter and flour. It is different from the normal butter cake in terms of texture and the aromatic parmesan cheese fragrance.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepare a 8” x 6” cake
Egg Yolk portion
- 180 grams of butter
- 200 grams of cake flour or low protein flour
- 140 grams or ml of fresh milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 80-100 grams of parmesan cheese powder
- 4 pieces of cheddar cheese breakfast slice (optional)
- 180 grams of castor sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar (optional)
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 165 degree Celsius. Put a tray of water on the lowest level of the oven .
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter, cheddar cheese slices (optional) and parmesan cheeses in a pan under low heat. Once it melts, take out and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the egg yolks and fresh milk, use a hand whisk to whisk until it forms an emulsion.
- Sift in the cake flour and stir until it forms a thick batter. If the parmesan cheese refused to melt, it is ok as it will melt during the baking process.
- In a clean mixing bowl, add the egg white. Beat until slightly foamy and add the cream of tartar. Continue to beat at high speed and add sugar tablespoon by tablespoon. Once it reaches soft to firm peak, off the machine. Do not beat until stiff peak and it will make the cake tends to crack. The meringue should be glossy and shall be able to stand on its own. If you invert the mixing bowl, all the meringue shall stay intact in the mixing bowl and not flow down.
- Transfer 1/3 of the meringue to the egg yolk better. Fold lightly and swiftly in one direction with a spatula. Once it is well mixed, add the another 1/3 of the meringue and perform the same. Once the final portion of meringue has been added and well mixed, transfer the batter to the baking pan . Level it and use a skewer to lightly go around the batter to force out any trapped air. Lightly bang the baking tin on the table to further forcing any trapped air to escape.
- Bake the cake using water bath at 165 degree Celsius for 45 minutes to one hour or until a skewer inserts in the centre comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting.
In my humble experience, this is a delicious recipe that differentiates from other butter cake because of the cheesy aroma. It is straightforward do give it a try if you are tired with the normal butter cake.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Homemade Yoghurt (家居自制酸奶）
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe aka Gỏi cuốn (越式春卷)
- Horlicks Chiffon (好立克戚风蛋糕）
- Tandoori Chicken And Chicken Tikka Masala (唐杜里鸡和马萨拉鸡 தந்தூரி சிக்கன், சிக்கன் டிக்கா மசாலா）
- Sweet Long Life Noodles (甜面）
- Stir Fry Potatoes Cubes With Chicken Franks (香肠炒土豆丁）
- Thailand Green Chicken Curry aka Gaeng Kiaw Wan Neua (泰国绿咖喱鸡 แกงเขียวหวานไก่ไทย)
- Basic Hand Knead Bread Recipe (手揉面包食谱）
- Classic Malay Dishes Recipe: Korma Chicken aka Ayam Kurma (科尔马鸡肉）
- Tuna Overnight Rice Muffins (吞拿鱼隔夜饭咸香马芬）
- Mustard Green Stewed Pork Braised Rice (Kai Choy Fan or Tua Cai Png) (芥菜焖饭）
- Shredded Cuttlefish Stir Fried With Pork (鱿鱼丝炒五花肉）
- Sliced Potatoes Stir Fry With Minced Meat (土豆片炒肉末）
- Cantonese Style Mung Bean Rice Dumplings (粤式绿豆咸肉粽）
- Braised Duck With Sea Cucumber (海参焖鸭）
- Parmesan Cheese Butter Cake (帕马森干酪牛油蛋糕）
- Dual Eggs Chinese Spinach aka Amaranth Soup (金银蛋苋菜汤）
- Classic Chinese Mixed Vegetable Dish aka Cha Chap Chye (中式炒什菜）
- Korean BBQ Sauce Stewed Chicken Mid Wings (韩国烧烤酱鸡翼）
- Corn Muffins (玉蜀黍/玉米马芬）
- March 2017 (14)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 2,844,416 hits