I do not how many readers are aware that osmanthus flower is a very important flower in the celebration of mid autumn or mooncake festival. This is a flower that usually blossoms during lunar 8th month in the Northern hemisphere especially in China and Chinese literature have lots of linkages of this flower to the festival. I personally find that it is very meaningful to serve this cake during the festival especially those who does not like mooncake or unable to eat mooncake due to health reasons.
If you studied the basic mooncake festival paintings, you will note that there are always a moon (月亮）， moon princess ( 嫦娥）, rabbit (月兔）， a man (吴刚）and a tree. The tree referred to as is the osmanthus tree .
Pic Courtesy of: http://www.i-china.org/ewebeditor/uploadfile/20121008113614489.jpg
The osmanthus tree is related to this famous old legend -Wu Gang felling the osmanthus tree (吴刚伐桂). In the moon palace (月宫）where Chang Er (嫦娥）stay together with the jade rabbit (玉兔）， Wu Gang was punished by the God to cut a self healing osmanthus tree in the moon palace and whenever he chop the tree, the tree will heal itself. This soon become a phrase in modern Chinese to describe an endless toil with a futile effort.
Besides the above legend, there is a Chinese saying: “花好月圆“ （hua hao yue yuan) or literally translated as elixir of love and the hua or flower referred here is osmanthus flower as the full sentence for this proverb shall be: “八月十五桂花香，花好月圆”。 During 15th of the 8th lunar month, the moon is round and the aroma of osmanthus can be smelled everywhere which translates to everything is wonderful with perfect happiness。 This phrase is not only commonly used during the festival but also used in the wedding occasions.
During Mid Autumn Festival, traditionally, Chinese are celebrating by sitting under the osmanthus trees (桂花树下）, appreciate the osmanthus flower （赏桂花）, drinking osmanthus wine or cassia wine（喝桂花东或蜜酒）and osmanthus tea ( 饮桂花茶). In addition, osmanthus blossom in Autumn together with many other beautiful flowers such as chrysanthemum. Of course, as osmanthus flower was not common here, this tradition may not be maintained in the region.
Since after I issued my recipe of Osmanthus Gojiberries Jelly (桂花枸杞糕）as in the picture above, I have left with lots of osmanthus flower, I have decided to prepare a huat kuih for this festival. For those who have religious praying that need a huat kuih or prosperity cake, you can try to prepare this meaningful cake that is aromatic, soft and delicious.
Huat kuih and muffin is the same thing except one is baked and one is steamed. I take this opportunity to clarify to my readers that all the huat kuih recipes issued by me can be eaten and it is delicious. It is my principle not to issue a recipe that human cannot eat due to poor taste or texture. Therefore, this is also an excellent breakfast item.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepared about 10 huat kuih
- 250 grams of self raising flour （自发面粉）
- 140 grams of castor sugar （白砂糖）
- 1 teaspoon of double acting baking powder or baking powder (双重发粉或发粉）
- 1 egg (鸡蛋）
- 200 grams of hot boiling water （滚水）
- 50 grams of cooking oil (食用油）
- 3 tablespoons of goji berries (枸杞子）
- 3 tablespoons of dried osmanthus flower (桂花）
- 2 tablespoons of osmanthus flower syrup (桂花酱） – optional
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- In a bowl, put the sugar and osmanthus flower. Pour the hot boiling water into the bowl, stir until sugar dissolved. Set aside for cooling.
- In another bowl, sift in the self raising flour and baking powder, add the oil and beaten eggs. Lightly stir and gradually add in the cooled osmanthus syrup, use a hand mixer to whisk until well mixed. Add in the goji berries， stir and transfer it to some cupcake cups or muffin tins and fill the cups with the batter until at least 95% full. Steam in the steamer for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre come out clean. It is best that the cupcakes cups be pre-steamed before filling of the batter. You shall use high heat in the entire process of steaming. Best served hot as a snack .
Technically, in western term, a huat kuih is a steamed muffin. If you are not praying, you can always try to prepare this cake for breakfast, The subtle osmanthus aroma in the cake give one a very refreshing taste. It is soft and not too sweet and I personally have already eaten two.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 3,886,770 hits