UPDATED POST ON 7 January 2015
I found that it is much crispier without the cups. It will spread outwards a bit but very crispy and nice to eat.
I have also made some minor amendments to the recipe to enhance the crispiness.
Nestum is a baby cereal and has its unique aromatic fragrance..Since young, I love Nestum. Even until today, Nestum is still my choice of breakfast cereals..
Using baby cereal to make into cookies will definitely yield an aromatic cookie… I have added milk powder to enhance the flavour and I am sure readers will concur with me that milk powder blends well with this baby cereal.
When the cookies were just out of the oven, I was rather shocked that the cookies’ exterior seem to be very hard. I am worry that something went wrong. When it cooled down completely and when i take a first bite, I found it is an enjoyment after breaking the crust and proceed to bite the interior .. It is addictive and asking my kids to try and both concurred that it is a nice cookie.. At least they like it.
Round shaped cookies are more difficult to bake but if you prepare the cookies in a disc or saucer shape, it will be easier to become crispy and shorten the baking time considerably. As such, this cookie need some close monitoring as the baking time depends very much on your shape and oven temperature.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Recipe inspired from : Cornflakes Cookies / Cereal Cookies – Look See Eat
Servings: about 40-50 cookies depends on size of cookies
- 100 grams of butter – at room temperature
- 100 grams of fine sugar or icing sugar
- 100 grams of
plain flour or all purpose flourself raising flour
- 50 grams of
potatoes starch or corn starch (not in picture)rice flour
- 50 grams of milk powder
- 1 egg
- 80 grams of Nestum baby cereal
- Some mini paper cups
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs gradually and beat until well combined. Add in the sifted milk powder, plain flour, potatoes starch and if you prefer, a tablespoon of Nestum baby cereals. Use the machine’s lowest speed to stir for a minute or two until well mix and form a pliable dough. Scoop a teaspoon of the dough, roughly shape round, put in a bowl of Nestum baby cereals. Roll sparingly. Transfer the dough to the paper cups and bake in the pre-heated oven of 170 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until it become golden brown. It is suggested that the dough be rolled into 1-2 mm thickness instead of the ball shape such that the biscuit is easier to become crispy.
- Temperature control is important and timing will very much depend on the shape of the cookies. Disc or sauce shape cookies are crispier than round cookies and timing will be shorten considerably (about 10-15 minutes) .
- Instead of baby cereal, breakfast cereals such as corn flakes can be used. However, the corn flakes will need to be pound until fine they resembling the size of Nestum baby cereals.
It is a crispy cookie which is different from the other Chinese New Year cookies that melts in the mouth. The first bite felt some hard crust as you continue to bite, you will feel the softer inner part full of cereal fragrance and the second cookie should be in your hand by then.. Haha … For those who like baby cereal like me, you may want to give it a try.
For more Chinese New Year related cookies, snack and steamed cake recipes, you can have a copy of “Easy Chinese New Year Recipes – A step by step guide” that was packed with 30 recipes, 60 pages at a reasonable convenience fee of USD3.50. The recipes covered various recipes from auspicious radish cake to nian gao to traditional kuih bangkit to trendy London almond cookies. Of course not forgetting both type of pineapple tarts. You can purchase by clicking the link above. You can either pay using Pay Pal or Credit card account. Please ensure that you have an PDF reader like Acrobat or iBooks in your mobile phone or iPad if you intended to read it in your ipad or mobile phone. Should there be any problems of purchasing, feel free to contact me at email@example.com and separate arrangement can be made.
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- Bacon Cheese Croquettes (培根芝士炸丸子)
- Homemade Yoghurt (家居自制酸奶）
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe aka Gỏi cuốn (越式春卷)
- Horlicks Chiffon (好立克戚风蛋糕）
- Tandoori Chicken And Chicken Tikka Masala (唐杜里鸡和马萨拉鸡 தந்தூரி சிக்கன், சிக்கன் டிக்கா மசாலா）
- Sweet Long Life Noodles (甜面）
- Stir Fry Potatoes Cubes With Chicken Franks (香肠炒土豆丁）
- Thailand Green Chicken Curry aka Gaeng Kiaw Wan Neua (泰国绿咖喱鸡 แกงเขียวหวานไก่ไทย)
- Basic Hand Knead Bread Recipe (手揉面包食谱）
- Classic Malay Dishes Recipe: Korma Chicken aka Ayam Kurma (科尔马鸡肉）
- Tuna Overnight Rice Muffins (吞拿鱼隔夜饭咸香马芬）
- April 2017 (8)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 2,998,729 hits