Christmas is one week away and I still have some soaked mixed fruit in the fridge. By hook and by crook, i wanted to get rid these soaked fruits.
Facebook in the last few weeks has been flooded with many log cakes posts and I told myself why don’t I bake a log cake since i have guests at home.
Combining these two ideas together became a fruit log cake.. To make the recipe simpler, cream cheese frosting was used instead of the normal whipped cream or butter cream frosting. The response from my family is good, as expected, because of the delicious cream cheese frosting.
As for the cake, it is a simple Swiss roll cake base. i will consider this log cake is quite failure proof because any mistakes made can be easily disguised and guests will not be able to spot it … If it cracks, it will be hidden under the cream cheese frosting. If the fruits sink to the bottom of the cake, after rolling and for such a short cake, it will not be obvious and equally separated out in a circular shape. The frosting is easy to shape, it will not melt easily in the hot weather and you can easily come out your own design.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: 9” x 12” baking tray of Swiss Roll
- 4 eggs – separated into egg yolks and egg whites
- 100 grams of mixed fruits, soaked in rum until soft and drained
- 100 grams of cake flour
- 20 grams of condensed milk
- 80 grams of brown sugar
- 40 grams of corn oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of icing sugar for dusting the cake roll
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 250 grams of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50 grams of butter, at room temperature
- 250 grams of icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons of milk
- 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice
STEPS OF PREPARATION
Pre-heat oven to 200 degree Celsius
Line a 9” x 12” baking tray with baking paper. Get another one more piece of paper which is about at least 2 cm longer than the first baking paper. Set aside for later use after the Swiss roll is baked.
In a whisking bowl, put the egg whites. Beat the egg whites until foamy, gradually add in the brown sugar tablespoon by tablespoon. The egg white will expand and reach the soft to hard peak in 2-3 minutes. Add in the egg yolk one by one and follow by the condensed milk. Beat for another 3-4 minutes.
- Stop the machine and sift the baking powder, cinnamon powder and cake flour into beaten eggs. Fold carefully until well mixed. Add in the corn oil and fold in until well combined. Take 2-3 tablespoons of cake batter and put on the soaked fruits. Stir until well combined to lighten the mixed fruits. Transfer these batter to the mixing bowl. Fold again lightly until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to the baking tin. Bake in the pre-heated oven of 200 degree Celsius for 10-12 minutes until the top turn golden brown.
- Meanwhile, get ready the other piece of baking paper, dust some icing sugar on top of the baking paper. After taking out from the oven, take out from the baking tin. Use something to level the cake if necessary. Quickly turn the cake with the bottom of the cake facing you and placed the cake on top of the piece of baking paper dusted with icing sugar.. Tear off the first piece of baking paper. Take the width of the cake and roll the cake (like the way of rolling the Sushi) and make sure that the ending portion is facing downwards. Let it cool completely in this position. (Note that it is important that you do this as soon as the cake is out of oven and as soon as your hand can handle the heat from the cake. You can use a towel to roll together if you want. When the cake dries up, it will be difficult to roll.)
- While the cake is cooling, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add softened butter, beat until well combined. Add icing sugar follow by the milk and lemon juice. Beat for 2-3 minutes until well mixed.
- When the cake is completely cool until room temperature, unroll the cake and spread some cream cheese frosting in the centre. (in this illustration, I did not spread the cream cheese at the centre of the cake because I do not want kids to indulge into too much cream cheese). Roll back the cake and spread generously the cream cheese on both sides of the log ends and log trunks. Use a fork to lightly make some horizontal lines on the trunks and circular lines at the log ends.
- Decorated your cake with your desired Christmas ornaments such as Santa Clause, pine tree, mushrooms, reindeer etc.. and if preferred, dust sparingly with icing sugar resembling snowfall. Chilled the cake if the frosting is too soft and cut into 2 cm thick pieces for servings.
If you have not bought or ordered any log cake, you may want to consider giving this recipe to try. You will save at least 70% of the price. Even without any dried fruits, this will be a delicious cake. Trust me, the failure rate of this cake is very low.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
For more recipes, you can refer to my RECIPE INDEX (updated as at 13 March 2015) here and you can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- Bacon Cheese Croquettes (培根芝士炸丸子)
- Homemade Yoghurt (家居自制酸奶）
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe aka Gỏi cuốn (越式春卷)
- Horlicks Chiffon (好立克戚风蛋糕）
- Tandoori Chicken And Chicken Tikka Masala (唐杜里鸡和马萨拉鸡 தந்தூரி சிக்கன், சிக்கன் டிக்கா மசாலா）
- Sweet Long Life Noodles (甜面）
- Stir Fry Potatoes Cubes With Chicken Franks (香肠炒土豆丁）
- Thailand Green Chicken Curry aka Gaeng Kiaw Wan Neua (泰国绿咖喱鸡 แกงเขียวหวานไก่ไทย)
- Basic Hand Knead Bread Recipe (手揉面包食谱）
- Classic Malay Dishes Recipe: Korma Chicken aka Ayam Kurma (科尔马鸡肉）
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 3,026,131 hits