I presumed most readers will know that mandarin oranges is an auspicious fruit during Chinese New Year. It was considered as auspicious because the name 大橘 （da jv) has almost the same tone as 大吉 （da ji) which means auspicious. Therefore, these mandarin oranges are needed for gift sending, house visiting and many praying ceremonies.
Usually, families are loaded with lots of mandarin oranges and it can be a burden when there are about 50 mandarin oranges in the house. Of course one way is to eat it as it is, some blend it into fruit juice and I did issue a recipe to make into mandarin orange jam (recipe: Mandarin Orange Jam (橘子酱）) which is well liked by the families.
I have also used it to steam into jidangao or Chinese sponge cake (recipe:Mandarin Orange Steamed Sponge Cake (芦柑鸡蛋糕）) which is delicious also .
Since I have never had an orange muffin recipe, I thought I might as well take this festive seasons to share a recipe that uses some mandarin oranges.
I have always rather confident about my muffin recipe and this is no exception. I personally like this muffin very much and the only disappointment is the type of mandarin oranges used. Not all the mandarin oranges has the same aroma, some beautiful mandarin oranges imported from Pakistan or Taiwan are rather beautiful, juicy and sweet but there is no childhood aroma of what a mandarin orange should have.
I know I am being unfair, personally, when I was young, we only have one type of mandarin oranges called 蕉柑 （jiao gan) imported from Shantou. These type of oranges can be kept for a very long period of time due to its ultra thick skin. Though the skin is very thick, they emit a very unique mandarin orange aroma that other type of mandarin oranges (including lu gan aka 芦柑）does not have. If jiao gan is used in this recipe, it will be perfect and the mandarin oranges aroma will be very strong.
Well, for my international readers, if you cannot get hold of mandarin oranges, you can always use normal oranges and I am confident that normal oranges will provide a stronger aroma than mandarin oranges. Since this is a Chinese New Year recipe, I have added some red colour cranberry and cherry. To provide some bites in the muffins, pecan nuts was added.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: about 12 cupcake size muffins
- 150 grams of butter, meted
- 140 grams of sugar
- 130 grams or ml of mandarin orange/orange juices
- 200 grams of self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon of mandarin orange/orange zest
- 50 grams of mandarin orange pulp, deseeded (optional)
- 50 grams of cranberry or cherries (optional)
- 50 grams of chopped pecan nuts/walnuts or other nuts of your choice (optional)
- 3 eggs
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs , add the melted butter, mandarin orange juices and mandarin orange pulps. Stir until well combined set aside.
- in another mixing bowl, sift the flour, add the castor sugar, cranberries/cherries and chopped nuts. Stir until well combined and make a well in the centre. Gradually add the egg mixture and use a fork or spoon to mix it swiftly and lightly. Lumpy batter is acceptable and over mixed batter will result in chewy muffins.
- Transfer into the muffins cup until 80% full and bake in the pre-heated oven of 180 degree Celsius for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Muffin is best eaten after resting overnight as it will become moister.
I hope this recipe will benefit readers who are in need of ways to get rid of excess mandarin oranges. If you do not have any mandarin oranges now, you can always use oranges instead and rest be assured it will be a delicious muffin.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- Bacon Cheese Croquettes (培根芝士炸丸子)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 3,313,561 hits