This is one of the very common dishes that is always served in the restaurants or Tzi Char stores in Singapore and Malaysian. My kids loved them very much and always asked me to cook this dish.
The preparation is definitely not difficult and the dish is well liked possibly because of its silky and smooth texture. The egg tofu is very aromatic when pan fried and the eggs at the bottom of the hot plate make it even more fragrant.
I do not have much thing to talk about this recipe. It is just a trendy dish and well liked by many. You have tons of variations be it the side ingredients or the type of tofu. While I have paired it with minced meat and beech mushrooms, you can always add prawns or onions. If you cannot find egg tofu, you can use the normal Chinese tofu too.
Theoretically, this dish should use a sizzling hot plate. However, as I do not have such a hot plate at home, I have decided by passed this step. To me, whether sizzling or not is irrelevant.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: About 4-6 persons
- 3-4 tubes of egg tofu
- 2 packets of beech mushrooms
- 3 eggs
- 50 grams of minced pork
- 2 stalks of spring onion, cut into big chunk
- 1 chilli, shredded
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch mix with 2 tablespoons of water
- Pinches of salt
- Dashes of white pepper
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Cut the tofu into big pieces. In a pan, put 1-2 tablespoons of oil, pan fry the tofu under low to medium heat until both sides are golden brown. Dish up and set aside. Do not deep fry or pan fry at high heat as the tofu may break and have unsightly holes.
- In a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, sauté the minced garlic until fragrant. Add the minced meat, stir fry for 1-2 minutes until the meat have change colour. Add the beech mushrooms, about 1 cup of chicken stock or plain water, pan fry tofu, chilli and bring to boil. Once it boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Before dishing up, add the corn starch solution, salt, white pepper and chopped spring onion. The dish can be served after dishing into the serving plate.
- For hot plate version, heat up the hot plate until very hot, add some oil and pan fry the eggs until the eggs are almost set. Put the tofu on top of the pan fried eggs and the dish is ready to be served.
This is a simple household recipe and rather than ordering from the restaurant, why not try preparing at home?
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.