It is an accidental design of this recipe. It is out of my curiosity that I designed this recipe.. The Chinese name of avocado is 牛油果 or literally translated as “butter fruit” and that prompted me to experiment if it is possible to substitute butter with avocado… However, I did read out some recipes but the recipes just did not attract me as the muffins looks very dense.. In addition, some recipe called for half substitution of fats with avocado which i think has already defeated the purpose of my recipe.
I prepared this batch of muffins as early as 6:00 am as this was the hand gifts to be given to my nieces overseas. As this was my designed recipe, I have no idea how well it would turn out.. I usually did not eat bakes directly out of the oven, but for this recipe, immediately when the muffins were out of the oven, I took one and I am satisfied with the moist muffin. It is moist and with a rather unique avocado flavour. I asked my niece to try and they said it is a nice muffin and brought all back to home town
As per Wikipedia:
Avocado of horticultural cultivars has a markedly higher fat content than most other fruit, mostly monounsaturated fat, and as such serves as an important staple in the diet of consumers who have limited access to other fatty foods (high-fat meats and fish, dairy products). Having a high smoke point, avocado oil is expensive compared to common salad and cooking oils, and mostly used for salads or dips. A ripe avocado yields to gentle pressure when held in the palm of the hand and squeezed. The flesh is prone to enzymatic browning, quickly turning brown after exposure to air. To prevent this, lime or lemon juice can be added to avocados after peeling. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado)
I think most readers will know avocado is a very healthy fruit. The supermarket even marketed the fruit as follows:
This is a rather healthy recipe.. It is fatless (no butter or other cooking oil) and taste is satisfactory to delicious depending on one’s taste bud. Of course those with butter is more aromatic but this is not bad either. I have adjust the recipe to add some vanilla essence and that is up to readers. But if you used flavoured yoghurt as mentioned below, it is not necessary.
Like all the muffins recipe that I have designed, my recipe generally called for usage of high fluid contents to moisten the muffins and in this case, I have decided to use some yoghurt. If you use flavoured yoghurt, the taste of the muffin will be that yoghurt. If strawberry yoghurt was used, the taste of the muffins will be strawberry.
There is one thing I have to highlight is that unlike muffins with fats, you have to grease the muffin cups if it is on grease proof.. It will stick to the muffin cups because there is no fats to act as a lubricating barrier. Therefore, selection of muffin cups is important. Otherwise, you will have to grease the muffin tins.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: About 10-12 small muffins
- 2 eggs
- 250 grams of self raising flour
- 100 grams of avocado
- 150 grams of natural yoghurt or flavoured yoghurt
- 100 grams of castor sugar
- 100 grams of dried cranberry, soaked until softened
- 50 grams of fresh milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Lightly grease the muffin tins or muffin cups of your choice.
- Mash the avocado until puree form. Add the eggs, yoghurt, vanilla essence and milk. Stir until well combined and set aside. Alternatively, you can put the avocado, milk, vanilla essence,eggs and yoghurt in a blender, blend until fine. Add the soaked cranberries, stir until well mixed.
- Sift the self raising flour and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, stir until well mixed. Make a well in the centre, add the egg avocado mixture prepared earlier. Use a fork or flat bladed knife to quickly stir until well mixed. LUMPS ARE EXCEPTABLE.
- Transfer the batter to the greased muffin cups until 75%-80% full and bake in the pre-heated oven of 180 degree Celsius for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Baking time will depend on your muffin cup size. Bigger muffin will need at least 10% more baking time but towards the last 5 minutes, close observation is required for colour tone.
If these muffin suits your health objectives, you may want to give it a try.. Trust me, it is not a bad muffins. Moist and definitely not oily compared to other muffins. I do not rule out I will design more fatless muffin recipes.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 3,587,214 hits