Updated post on 4-12-2016
I have decided to upload a new recipe using whole eggs instead of egg whites. You can also add in other nuts of your choice if you prefer. Personally I prefer recipe 2, whole egg version which is easier. Recipe 1 has also been amended , so if you have extra egg white, you can use recipe 1. All pictures with logo belong to the new batch using whole egg version.
I am not confidence that this set of images will convince readers to try out this recipe.. I found that the images did not do justice to the deliciousness of this cookie. Being irregular shape , for an amateur photographer like me, I have difficulty to make it looks eye catching. I am drained and I do not have inspiration
Well, this is a crispy and delicious cookie. While most recipes refer you to the usage of florenta or bienetta flour, a special expensive type of sugar powder sold in the bakery, however for this recipe, egg whites are used and it yields a rather similar type of texture. It is extremely good recipe for those readers who have excess egg whites at home.
I do not have much complain about this recipe. It is very crispy and aromatic. At least none of my family members had complained including my wife who does not like to eat cookies or snacks.
Preparation is extremely simple and fast and I hope that some readers will give this recipe a try.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings : About 20 Egg White Almond Crisp (depends on size)
200 grams of almond flakes
50 grams of cake flour or top flour
40 grams of melted butter
50 grams of icing sugar
3 egg whites
Recipe 2 – Whole Eggs Method
250 grams of almond flakes
35 grams of cake flour or top flour
40 grams of melted butter
50 grams of icing sugar
3 whole eggs
STEPS OF PREPARATION
Pre-heat the oven to 160 degree Celsius
In the bowl of a stand mixer, put the egg white, beat at medium speed until foamy. Add in sugar tablespoon by tablespoon. Beat the egg white until the sugar dissolved. There is no need to beat the egg white until firm peak. However, if firm peak egg white was used, it is more fluffy but difficult to spread on the baking powder.
In a bowl, put the cake flour and melted butter. Use a hand whisk and stir until well mixed.
Fold the egg white and the batter until well combined. Add the almond flakes and stir until well mixed. Put a teaspoon of the batter spread until as thin as possible. Put additional almond flakes on top if preferred. Bake in the pre-heated oven of 160 degree Celsius for about 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Recipe 2 – whole eggs
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degree Celsius.
- Put melted butter, icing sugar and eggs into a mixing bowl. Use a hand whisk to whisk until combined. Sift in the flour and stir until it forms a batter. Add the almond and other nuts (optional) , stir until well combined.
- Take a teaspoon full of the batter, put it into a metal ring of about 5 cm diameter. Use a straw to press it until as thin and as even as possible.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven of 150 degree Celsius for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. When cooled, it will harden and store in an air tight container. Keep an eye on the colour, should the need arises, adjust the temperature accordingly.
This is a recipe designed by my humble self but the concept of using egg white is not new. Most Chinese speaking Facebook group members are preparing this type of cookies using egg white method whereas for English speaking Facebook Groups, member tends to use more expensive Western ingredients such as florenta or bienetta .. Well, personally, I have preferred to use this method as it is another way of getting rid of my excess egg whites from the preparation of new year cookies such as Kuih bangkit etc. Chances that I will be preparing it very soon as I foresee that more and more egg whites will be accumulated in my house during the Chinese New Year cookies preparation.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
For more recipes, you can refer to my RECIPE INDEX (updated as at 13 March 2015) here and you can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 3,599,844 hits