I think every house chef will know how to prepare this dish, be it experienced ah ma or new housewife. This is a very basic recipe when someone is learning to cook a meal for the family. But it does take a lot of courage for me to issue this recipe since everyone knew how to cook.
When I started home cooking, of course I also cooked this dish. This dish is so popular when the fridge is empty, when we have porridges and when we do not know what to cook. Not many family members will be objecting having this dish though it is ultra simple. In fact, my wife have constant craving of this dish, she is the one who encouraged me to cook this dish at home as often as possible.
But what i prepared is not the same taste and flavour as what is prepared by my late mum or my mother in law. Though simple, it took quite a while to learn to cook until the flavour that I wanted. In the initial stage, the omelette are too hard, it is tasteless, onion is hard and not aromatic. Certain spices are missing too. After trial and error, I think it is time to share my own recipe.
I am rather shy to share this simple recipe and in this post, there is one ingredient though optional but can bring this humble dish to another level of enjoyment. It is the usage of mayonnaise. There is once I have added mayonnaise and cheese and to omelette and the taste is really great. The texture is totally different from the traditional egg omelette. But again, this is optional, if you have some mayonnaise in the fridge, you can try to add this and see if it transforms your omelette to a more delicious dish.
Well, I thought I am the crazy blogger who blogged this dish, surprising there are lots of Chinese recipes in the internet and most will have their own ways of preparation. If you already have a way of preparation, go ahead and use your own. If you are still unable to get the texture and flavour that you have eaten before, may be you can use this recipe as a starting point and modify along the way.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: 3-4 adult servings
- 1 medium size onion
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of shredded carrots
- 2 stalks of spring onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Pinches of salt
- Dashes of white pepper
- Chicken stock or sugar to taste
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Skin the onion and cut into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs, add mayonnaise, milk, white pepper, salt and chicken stock . Beat until well combined.
- In a pot, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, add the shredded carrots and sliced onion, stir fry under high heat until the onion are soft.
- Transfer the cooked onion to the eggs. Add the spring onion. Stir until well combined.
- Heat up the pan with 1 tablespoon of oil, add 1-2 ladles of eggs, pan fried using high heat until the eggs are golden brown and aromatic. Flip the omelette and pan fried the other side until golden brown. Note that eggs are not aromatic if it is not golden brown. You will smell the fragrance when it is properly pan fried. Best served as a side dish with white rice or porridge.
You may be doubtful about the addition of mayonnaise and milk, well, give it a try and let me know if it tastes better. Lastly remember that onion have to be properly sauté until soft and eggs have to be properly pan fried until golden brown.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.