At times, I was amazed by some of the old fashioned cookies prepared by the housewives in the region. These festival cookies or biscuits are simple yet delicious. I have high regards of the creators of these biscuits or cookies..
I remembered I tasted this awesome biscuit before in one of the Chinese New Year visiting. As usual, we did not know the name as most traditional biscuits. They do not have a proper name or even if there are, they were not properly documented and disseminated to the sellers.. I remember that they were crispy, coated with chocolate and Nestum cereals. It is very aromatic and crunchy.
One member of a Chinese Facebook Group posted a picture of these biscuits and asking for a recipe. None of the members are absolutely sure as there are no proper name for the biscuit appeared in the image. Looking at the picture and based on the main ingredients, I Goggled “ chocolate Nestum biscuits”. I was very lucky that some images popped out there are some Malay bloggers who blogged these biscuits. In fact, the more refined and exact name of this biscuit is “Biskuit Jejari Nestum Coklat” or literally translated as “Chocolate Nestum Finger Biscuits”.
Just like most traditional recipes that were not properly documented, this type of recipe usually does not have exact quantities. Even if quantities were listed, it will be listed as “some ingredients A, one packet of B etc.” . The quantities were not measured. Therefore, in this recipe, I will also follow the same style, a reference quantity but it may be a bit more or less as there are too many factors influencing the exact quantities. Such factors will include the surface area of your finger biscuits, how thick you want to coat the biscuits with chocolate and Nestum and etc.
Most of the recipes uses bread crust or the brownish sides of bread loaf as the centre biscuit of this cookie. This is a very good idea as some families threw away these brown parts when they prepared sandwiches. However, any bakes that have bread like structures can be used. As long as these bread sticks can become crispy when baked, it can be used. If you are interested in basic bread loaf recipe, you can refer to this post: Basic White Loaf – Bread Bible Pullman Loaf Sandwich Bread (白吐司面包）
Since I do not have any bread loaf with me, I have therefore decided to use my Chinese pan fried bread or da bing for the illustration. Taste and texture is the same and if you are interested in the recipe of these dabing, you can refer to this post: Chinese Sweet Pan Fried Bread (黑芝麻甜大饼)
WHAT IS REQUIRED
- 250-300 grams of baking chocolate
- 500 grams of bread sticks
- 150 grams of Nestum cereals
- 3 tablespoons of milk powder (optional)
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Cut the bread into pinky finger size (smallest finger ). Please do not cut too big a size as it will be difficult to bake until crispy. Bake in the oven at 130 degree Celsius until all the bread sticks are crispy (about 20-25 minutes). To assess if the bread sticks are crispy, take one and try. If it is still soggy in the middle, send back to the oven and re-bake again before proceeding to the next step.
- Melt the baking chocolate either in microwave for 45 seconds or over the stove using ban Marie method.
- In a bowl, mix the Nestum cereals and milk powder together. You can add the Nestum and milk powder in stages to avoid wastage. Add more Nestum and milk powder only when necessary.
- Put the baked bread sticks into the melted chocolate and transfer to the Nestum bowl. Coat evenly and sparingly and transfer to a plate for the melted chocolate to cool and harden. Once hardened, store in an air tight container.
I have decided to blog this recipe for a few reasons. I believed this recipe will suit the taste buds of the current foodies. Most will not be able to reject chocolate and Nestum. Secondly, it is very easy to prepare and most important of all, it is a good way of getting rid of the brown sides of the bread loaf. Remember, unsuccessful bread loaves can also be cut into small pieces and become this delicious snack.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
For more recipes, you can refer to my RECIPE INDEX (updated as at 13 March 2015) here and you can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Homemade Yoghurt (家居自制酸奶）
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe aka Gỏi cuốn (越式春卷)
- Horlicks Chiffon (好立克戚风蛋糕）
- Tandoori Chicken And Chicken Tikka Masala (唐杜里鸡和马萨拉鸡 தந்தூரி சிக்கன், சிக்கன் டிக்கா மசாலா）
- Sweet Long Life Noodles (甜面）
- Stir Fry Potatoes Cubes With Chicken Franks (香肠炒土豆丁）
- Thailand Green Chicken Curry aka Gaeng Kiaw Wan Neua (泰国绿咖喱鸡 แกงเขียวหวานไก่ไทย)
- Basic Hand Knead Bread Recipe (手揉面包食谱）
- Classic Malay Dishes Recipe: Korma Chicken aka Ayam Kurma (科尔马鸡肉）
- Tuna Overnight Rice Muffins (吞拿鱼隔夜饭咸香马芬）
- Mustard Green Stewed Pork Braised Rice (Kai Choy Fan or Tua Cai Png) (芥菜焖饭）
- Shredded Cuttlefish Stir Fried With Pork (鱿鱼丝炒五花肉）
- Sliced Potatoes Stir Fry With Minced Meat (土豆片炒肉末）
- Cantonese Style Mung Bean Rice Dumplings (粤式绿豆咸肉粽）
- Braised Duck With Sea Cucumber (海参焖鸭）
- Parmesan Cheese Butter Cake (帕马森干酪牛油蛋糕）
- Dual Eggs Chinese Spinach aka Amaranth Soup (金银蛋苋菜汤）
- Classic Chinese Mixed Vegetable Dish aka Cha Chap Chye (中式炒什菜）
- Korean BBQ Sauce Stewed Chicken Mid Wings (韩国烧烤酱鸡翼）
- Corn Muffins (玉蜀黍/玉米马芬）
- March 2017 (14)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 2,842,228 hits