It has been long that I wanted to blog this dish but I always forget to buy all the eggs.. I am attracted to the colourful combination of the eggs and black in this recipe make the dish stands out as compare to the others. One should have noted that colour combination of white, orange, yellow and black will definitely be beautiful.
Unlike other recipes of steamed eggs, this recipe does not add water to the steamed eggs. It is because of this that the steamed egg is firm and it can be sliced thinly and served as an appetizer.. i have ever seen those nicely sliced tri-colour eggs served in a restaurant and it is definitely a very presentable appetizer in a standard dinner..
I was very surprised that the eggs blend so well with each other. If you like century eggs, you definitely need to try out the recipe. My recipe is extremely simple and besides the eggs, I only added 1/2 teaspoon of sugar besides the three types of eggs but the taste is awesome..
The tastiness of the dish will depend very much on the ratio of the eggs used. I do not and never will agree on recipe that call for same quantity for each type of eggs. Salted eggs will make the dish the very salty and you are unlikely to eat it as snack.
To make the final steamed eggs look beautiful, the salted egg and century egg pieces need to be sliced thickly. Only then you can create a visual effect. The next question is whether cooked or uncooked salted eggs shall be used? Both types also can be used but for cooked salted eggs, yours cooked egg white must be rather firm. For this batch, I am not happy at all because it seems that the egg white is rather loose and when I cut, I cannot slice it smoothly.. But that is a small defect that is not obvious.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: 4-6 adult servings
- 6 eggs
- 3 century eggs
- 2 salted eggs, boiled
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
STEPS OF PREPARATON
- Get ready a tin or deep plate suitable for steaming the eggs. Heavily greased the tin or plate. If preferred, line the steaming plate or tin with greaseproof baking paper to facilitate taking out the steamed eggs.
- Cut the century eggs and boiled salted eggs into big pieces. For each egg, it is advise to cut into 8-10 pieces.
- Crack the 6 eggs into two bowls in this manner: one bowl with 4 egg yolks and another bowl with 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites.
- For the bowl with 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites, add the sugar and use the chopstick to lightly beat the eggs. Add the sliced century eggs and salted eggs. Transfer the mixture to the greased steaming plate or baking tin.
- Steam under medium heat until the eggs are set. If preferred, you can cover the baking tin with an aluminium foil. It is imperative that you have ensured that the eggs are cooked (has hardened) by a skewer test before proceeding to the next step. It took me about 25 minutes for this illustration and timing will very much depend on the thickness of the steamed eggs.
- While the eggs are steaming, lightly beat the 4 egg yolks and set aside.
- Once the bottom layer is confirmed cooked, pour the beaten egg yolks and steam under low heat until the top part is cooked. Remember to use low heat to avoid wavy pattern formation.
- Slice into desired size once completely cooled and it can be eaten as a dish or as an appetizer.
A very simple recipe for all to try out. Again, if you like century eggs, you should give this recipe a go..
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.