I am rather unsure why I am issuing this post. I just find that i need to keep a record of this simple fish frying techniques that I know so that one day, possibly my kids will need this.. Lol.
Well, with the availability of non stick pan, this recipe may not be that relevant but I found that the traditional method of beautifully pan frying fish is still worth the respect. Most of the time when I posted my fried fish in Facebook, members will ask me how to pan fry fishes such that the skins are intact and beautifully brown.
Frankly speaking, I have a way of pan frying fish but I did research on what is written in the internet. Prior to issuing this post, I asked my mother in law to share what she knew about pan frying fish. To my surprise, what she said is almost 80% similar to those captured in Chinese recipes.
Pan frying fish is a very common childhood fish. Fishes that are expensive are usually steamed but most of the humble fishes like ikan selar, ikan kembong, ikan kuning, ikan tenggiri, black pomfret, small white pomfret etc. are being pan fried until the external are crispy. For my family, we have only one dip for these type of simple pan frying fishes which I will also share here.
For all what I knew, to have a presentable and beautiful pan fried fish served in the plate, my humble conclusions are:
- The fish must be fresh (meaning, when you touches the fish, the flesh will bound back)
- The fish must be very dry without any water before pan frying. Therefore, it is always advisable to pat dry the fish with kitchen towel and let it in room temperature or fridge without cover for half hour
- It will be a good idea to coat the fish with some rice flour before pan frying to further reduce the moisture content
- The pan must be clean and free of dirt or other food debris
- You must heat up the pan until very hot before adding the oil
- Once you add the oil and oil become very hot, you should reduce the heat to medium
- Once you put your fish, never touch the fish until one side is golden brown, once it is golden brown, the skin will detach from the pan
- Turn the fish and pan frying the other side until golden brown.
- Some suggested to put a teaspoon of sugar to the oil, it will help to flavour the fish, make the skin intact and colour the fish faster (Note: I have never used this method and may try possibly in my next attempt)
- Can also consider to brush some vinegar on the fish skin before pan frying. Some have advised to lightly brush the dry fish with some egg yolk before pan frying.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
- Some fishes of your choice (ikan kembong in this illustration)
- Some rice flour
- 1 chilli or chilli padi
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of dark soya sauce or light soya sauce
- 4-5 calamansi or 2 tablespoons of vinegar
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Wash the fish, DRAINED and let it “air dry” in the fridge or at room temperature until the skin is dry. It is also advisable to pat dry the fish using a kitchen towel.
- Coat the dry fish with some rice flour . Corn flour can be used too.
- Heat up the frying pan until very hot, add 1-2 tablespoons of oil (depending on your fish volume but you do not really need a lot) and heat up the oil until almost smoky.
- Add the fish and pan fry for about 1 minute (depending on size), REDUCE THE HEAT TO MEDIUM, continue to pan fry the fish until the aroma of cooked fish start to emit or golden brown. Do not touch the fish during pan frying and you can only flip the fish when one side is ready. Turn the fish over carefully, INCREASE THE HEAT TO HOT FOR ONE MINUTE before reducing the heat to medium again. Continue to pan fry until the other side is cooked. Once both side is done, drain the fish.
- Chopped shallots and chilli, add the squeezed calamasi juices or vinegar, add the dark or light soya sauce and stir until well mixed.
I presumed everybody also know how to pan fry fish and I hope this post will benefit those who wanted to better their fish pan frying skills. If you have any other points to add, you can just let me know.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 3,767,229 hits