Updated post on 11/1/2017
Uploading of a new recipe – Recipe 2 suitable for Chinese New Year . It is the same as Recipe 1 with slight amendment and method of preparation.
When I posted my Chinese White Cakey Biscuit, one member of the Facebook Group is telling me about another traditional Chinese biscuit – Hup Toh Soh or Chinese Walnut biscuits that he loved very much.
I love this traditional biscuit too. In fact, I have almost forgotten this biscuit as I have not eaten this for ages…
It is a type of traditional Chinese biscuit commonly sold in neighbourhood bakery or supermarket. It is rather thick but very crispy and full of egg and walnut fragrance…Walnut is the main ingredients and most will know that walnut is good for brain and clear lungs per traditional Chinese Medicine.
There are many recipes available in the Chinese website and after digesting the recipes, I have decided to choose this simpler recipe that uses less ingredients and a rather fast method..
I am very pleased with the outcome as the biscuit very crispy and I have no regret of making this biscuit.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Recipe adapted from : 合桃酥
Servings : Prepared about 10 walnut cookies
Authentic Snack Recipe
200 grams of top flour or cake flour
100 grams of castor sugar
80 grams of cooking oil or lard
75 grams of walnut (crushed and pound into powder)
2 grams of baking powder
2 grams of baking soda
1 gram of ammonia bicarbonate (optional)
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon of water for egg washing
Additional walnut for decoration (optional)
Chinese New Year Recipe
200 grams of self raising flour
100 grams of castor sugar
80 grams of cold butter
75 grams of walnut
1 grams of baking soda
STEPS OF PREPARATION
Pre-heat the oven to 170 degree Celsius.
Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and ammonia bicarbonate (optional) into a bowl. Add the chopped walnut and sugar. Stir until well mixed. Make a well in the centre, add oil and crack the egg. Stir until well combined. Divide the dough equally into about 10 portions. Shape round and lightly pressed down with about 4 mm thickness.
Bake in the pre-heated oven of 170 degree Celsius for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, egg wash and if you prefer, you may put an additional walnut for decoration purposes. Send back to the oven and bake for additional 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Chinese New Year Cookies Version
- Roast the walnut in the oven at 130 degree Celsius for 10-15 minutes until aromatic.
- In a food processor, blend the walnut until fine powdery form. Add the self raising flour, sugar, baking soda, eggs and cold cut butter. Blend until it forms a dough.
- Divide into small pieces and place in a baking tray. Note that the cookies will expand and leave adequate place for expansion. Bake in the pre-heated oven of 170 degree Celsius for 15-20 minutes. Egg wash the cookies if preferred.
This is a simple recipe and I am happy with the texture of the biscuits. Hope reader will give it a try.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have a nice day.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP to see more recipes. Currently there are about 11,500 members sharing various food photos . I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- Bacon Cheese Croquettes (培根芝士炸丸子)
- Homemade Yoghurt (家居自制酸奶）
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe aka Gỏi cuốn (越式春卷)
- Horlicks Chiffon (好立克戚风蛋糕）
- Tandoori Chicken And Chicken Tikka Masala (唐杜里鸡和马萨拉鸡 தந்தூரி சிக்கன், சிக்கன் டிக்கா மசாலா）
- Sweet Long Life Noodles (甜面）
- Stir Fry Potatoes Cubes With Chicken Franks (香肠炒土豆丁）
- Thailand Green Chicken Curry aka Gaeng Kiaw Wan Neua (泰国绿咖喱鸡 แกงเขียวหวานไก่ไทย)
- Basic Hand Knead Bread Recipe (手揉面包食谱）
- Classic Malay Dishes Recipe: Korma Chicken aka Ayam Kurma (科尔马鸡肉）
- Tuna Overnight Rice Muffins (吞拿鱼隔夜饭咸香马芬）
- April 2017 (8)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 2,996,242 hits