It is rather unusual that I am issuing this post during Chinese New Year. It is actually not a new post but an old post that I have blogged in 2013.
Yesterday, one Chinese educated granny was asking me for the recipe as she wanted to prepare for her grandson to eat. I was very shocked that she can remember my 3 minutes butter cake and she can’t locate the recipe. I did not gave her as my old post is rather complicated and I thought I might as well streamlined the post today and share with readers.
I have prepared microwave butter cake many many times and my initial 3 minutes version is using a smaller cup. Today, I am using a common 750 ml rectangular microwavable box usually used for packing back food from the hawker centre. It took me about 5 minutes to prepare this cake.
The timing will very much depend on your microwave oven and the timing here is for reference. My microwave is an extremely simple model used for re-heating food without much options. I can’t even select the heat used. I just put the batter inside the microwave oven, select the timing and monitor the doneness along the way. The timing should not be far off in the region of 1-2 minutes.
My wife especially like this microwave butter cake as compared to baked butter cake. One of the reasons is it is moister than the bake version. In addition, it taste more like sponge cake than butter cake. Unsure about the reasons, the egg aroma is always stronger than the butter aroma for microwave version. We did not mind at all the faint butter fragrance and we always welcome the strong egg aroma.
Preparation is extremely easy. Nothing to shout about. I think kids can also do this. Just remember that mixing of batters is a bit like mixing muffin batter, it should be light and fast to prevent the development of gluten.
WHAT IS REQUIRED
Servings: Prepare about 5cm x 10cm x 15 cm container or 750 ml microwavable container
- 150 grams of melted butter
- 150 grams of self raising flour
- 150 grams of white sugar
- 3 eggs
STEPS OF PREPARATION
- Heavily grease the microwavable container with the melted butter.
- In a bowl, sift in the self raising flour and white sugar, stir until well mixed. Make a well in the centre. In another bowl, crack the eggs and mix with the melted butter. Stir until well combined. Slowly pour the butter egg solution to the flour, use a tablespoon to mix it until well combined. Transfer the batter to the greased container.
- Cook in the microwave for at least 3 minutes. Use a skewer to see if the centre is cooked. If not cooked, increase the timing on a per minute basis, meaning add additional microwave time minute by minute . For this illustration, it took me about 5 minutes. Once it is out of microwave oven, unmould and let it cool completely before cutting into preferred size for serving.
I have tried this cake many time and loved it and with the rewritten of this recipe, I hope more readers will give it a try. You can use any microwavable container but it must not be smaller than 750 ml capacity. Timing will very much depend on your microwave power. Always start with 3 minutes and increase minutes by minutes. Keep an eye on the microwave oven while the cake is baking.
Hope you like the post today. Cheers and have nice day. Should there be any imperfections in my blog layout, bear with me and I am trying hard to rectify it. In the event that you are a follower of Guaishushu at http://kwgls.wordpress.com, please do follow this new blog Guaishushu1 at http://www.guaishushu1.com.
You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes.
You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. I would be more than happy if you can post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog.
If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD.
- Classic Zucchini Slices (夏南瓜切片小吃）
- Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖）
- Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽）
- Macadamia Pitted Dates (夏果椰枣）
- Vegetarian Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹素粽）
- Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼）
- Classic Baked Sweet Potatoes (烤地瓜）
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup (芝士金瓜浓汤）
- Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子）
- Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇）
- Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡）
- Cheesy Baked Prawns (奶酪烤虾）
- Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡）
- Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶）
- Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末）
- Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜）
- Red Bean Alkaline Dumplings (红豆碱水粽）
- Vietnamese Baguette aka Bánh mì (越南法國麵包)
- Matcha Red Bean Steamed Cake (绿茶红豆蒸鸡蛋糕）
- Parmigiana Eggplant or Eggplant Lasagne: Parmigiana di Melanzane (焗烤千层茄子)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (8)
- April 2017 (9)
- March 2017 (16)
- February 2017 (18)
- January 2017 (13)
- December 2016 (13)
- November 2016 (24)
- October 2016 (19)
- September 2016 (19)
- August 2016 (22)
- July 2016 (27)
- June 2016 (14)
- May 2016 (25)
- April 2016 (23)
- March 2016 (27)
- February 2016 (24)
- January 2016 (20)
- December 2015 (18)
- November 2015 (18)
- October 2015 (23)
- September 2015 (20)
- August 2015 (17)
- July 2015 (19)
- June 2015 (16)
- May 2015 (18)
- April 2015 (23)
- March 2015 (26)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (14)
- December 2014 (23)
- November 2014 (24)
- October 2014 (26)
- September 2014 (27)
- August 2014 (27)
- July 2014 (28)
- June 2014 (24)
- May 2014 (20)
- April 2014 (21)
- March 2014 (23)
- February 2014 (20)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (24)
- November 2013 (25)
- October 2013 (27)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (37)
- July 2013 (36)
- June 2013 (25)
- May 2013 (88)
- April 2013 (30)
- March 2013 (1)
- 3,584,288 hits